DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/)
-   -   Is there a lens option with motorised zoom? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/502282-there-lens-option-motorised-zoom.html)

John Mitchell November 3rd, 2011 09:22 AM

Is there a lens option with motorised zoom?

Only really one thing holding me back from getting an fs100 - lack of a motorised zoom for live events. Any reasonably priced options ou there? Perhaps a follow focus attached to the zoom ring?

Glen Vandermolen November 4th, 2011 05:28 PM

Re: Is there a lens option with motorised zoom?

If you really need a motorized zoom lens, the FS100 - or the AF100 - are not the cameras to have. They use DSLR lenses, which don't need motorized zooms.
Perhaps you can fit a PL mount and use a cinema powered zoom lens, but they're really expensive, really big, need an external power source and are pretty much rentals only. Why go through all that hassle?
But I have shot a lacrosse game using the kit lens on my FS100. It takes a little practice to work the manual zoom, but 16mm shooters have been doing that for decades. Just saying that it can be done.

Gabe Strong November 4th, 2011 05:48 PM

To build on what Glen said.....
I have shot football, basketball, gymnastics, and
dancing with my FS 100 with kit lens, with absolutely no
problems. At first, it was strange to reach for
a nonexistent zoom rocker, but after a little time, it
is easy as can be. The zoom range on the kit lens
is similar to a video camera, and the auto functions
are surprisingly good if you want to use them. Yes,
an EX-1 would be better, but if you do a lot of different
types of shooting that the FS100 would excel at (talking
heads, beauty shots and so on) with a little event shooting
thrown in, and you can't afford both an EX-1 and a DSLR,
a FS100 may work ok for you with the kit lens being
your 'event' lens and faster glass for other stuff.
That's what I do, works for me, but your milage may vary.

John Mitchell November 5th, 2011 01:42 AM

Last year I was forced to use an EX1 with a broken zoom toggle and it was near impossible to get a smooth zoom - granted that is a servo type ring so maybe a mechanical zoom would be easier..

It would be nice if Sony or Fuji produced a purpose built video lens for this camera; constant aperture or close, parfocal and servo zoom, f2.8 would be good, perhaps a 12x wide angle. Just because it can use DSLR lenses doesn't mean it has to.

In the meantime I think I'll go away and practice with my D300 and 70-200 f2.8 to see if I can master this gig. Thanks for the advice.

Gabe Strong November 5th, 2011 02:08 AM

If you want a 12x zoom that is F2.8 and will cover a super 35mm chip.....
well, lets just say that you better be prepared to come up with some money.
Like say 50 grand or so. That's what zooms that have specs like you are
talking cost. Lenses can be fast, cheap, or long (zoom range). Pick 2.

Glen Vandermolen November 5th, 2011 07:06 AM

The problem with Sony building a zoom lens for the FS100 is getting power to the zoom motor. I don't think the electronics that allow the camera to "talk" to the e-mount lenses can send enough juice to power a lens motor. I'm afraid we're just going to have to get used to manually zooming, old school style.

I have thought about getting a small camera with zooming capabilities, like a Canon XA10 or NX70, in case I need a dedicated power zoom. After shooting last week in the rain, the NX70 has a lot of appeal to me.

Galen Rath November 5th, 2011 11:37 AM

The reviews on B&H mention the zoom is touchy on the NX70.

Glen Vandermolen November 6th, 2011 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galen Rath (Post 1694420)
The reviews on B&H mention the zoom is touchy on the NX70.

Yes, that seems to be a consensus with the camera. But Sony is coming out with a software fix in March, 2012. Besides, it's the waterproof aspect of the camera that I like. I can live with a touchy zoom control if it means I can shoot in the rain. The NX70 would have been so useful during my TV news photog days.

Bill Bruner November 6th, 2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen (Post 1694262)
If you really need a motorized zoom lens, the FS100 - or the AF100 - are not the cameras to have. They use DSLR lenses, which don't need motorized zooms..

True for the FS100 -- but Panasonic now has two power zoom lenses for the AF100:

1.) a 14-42mm (28-84mm equivalent) for

and

2.) a 45-175mm (90-350mm equivalent) for

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

John Mitchell November 6th, 2011 03:19 PM

Gabe is actually right - a lens like that will be exe..how expensive would depend on the size of the market. Probably work out a lot cheaper and smaller to make that two lenses to cover more a 10x range... and maybe sacrifice a stop at the long end so F2.8-3.5.

And those Pana lenses aren't anywhere near as fast as what I was talking about, but it is an interesting development. Of course PowerZoom controlled from the ring like that - hmmm I had a Yaschica still lens like that years ago - it was noisy and a bit of a gimmick. Remains to be seen how the Pana pans out.

If this lens were a better build quality it would be the one I would be going for with the AF100:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/550043-REG/Panasonic_L_ES014050_14_50mm_f_2_8_3_5_Vario_Elmarit_Aspherical.html

Glen Vandermolen November 6th, 2011 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Bruner (Post 1694673)
True for the FS100 -- but Panasonic now has two power zoom lenses for the AF100:

1.) a 14-42mm (28-84mm equivalent) for $400 and

2.) a 45-175mm (90-350mm equivalent) for $449.

Well, I'll be. I didn't think they had any DSLR power zooms. There's hope for the FS100 yet!