DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/)
-   -   Email update from Birger about Canon adapter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/502355-email-update-birger-about-canon-adapter.html)

Bruce S. Yarock November 5th, 2011 10:49 AM

Email update from Birger about Canon adapter

I just got the below posted email from Birger, but am still confused about their traget date for the FS100 adapter.

Erik,
Thanks for the update, but I'm a bit confused. What is your realistic target date for the canon adapter for the FS100?
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
Yarock Productions

In a message dated 11/5/2011 11:39:51 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, ebw@birger.com writes:

In a few hours I am flying off to Stuttgart Germany. Birger will be exhibiting at Vision (VISION, Messe Stuttgart). Find us in hall 4, stand B50. We will be demonstrating our real-time focus control system for Canon EF-mount lenses. We will be using an Imperx camera for the demonstration.

On the broadcast front, we are finishing off the final details on the adapter for the Sony PMW-F3, and expect to start shipping after we get back from Germany. We were forced to go back to the drawing board, when we came to realize a few seemingly minor changes between the production and preproduction cameras would have a major impact in the geometry of the product. We're talking to the camera and powered from the camera, so no cables are required. After seeing the announcements for the new Canon and Red cameras on 3 November, I am convinced that the winning camera for those wanting to shoot Canon lenses at this price point, is going to be the PMW-F3 with a Birger adapter. Neither of the other manufacturers talk about supporting real-time servo follow-focus - like we have supported on the Red-one for many years now.

The cost reduced broadcast products, for the Panasonic AF-100 and the Sony FS-100, are still in a bit of a holding pattern. We're going to burn off the initial demand for the F3 before putting these into production. With the holidays coming up, and the family time I and my employees do not plan to give up this year, January is the new target for volume shipping. We'll have first articles out to Sony and Panasonic, and our dealers before the end of the year. We are not supporting any further demos for broadcast until we get to first articles.

The great news is on the manufacturing and distribution front. These past few months, as we have brought our new manufacturing capabilities online, we have taken a few week detour to apply these processes to all of our existing products. We have been able to realize enough of a cost savings, and reduction in field failures to the point that we are able to apply our new, distribution friendly pricing model, to all of our existing products. When we return from Germany we will re-engage with those that have expressed interest in reselling our products.

Regards,
Erik.

---
Erik Widding
President
Birger Engineering, Inc.

(mail) 38 Chauncy St #1101; Boston, MA 02111
(twitter) ErikBirger
(voice) 617.695.9233 x207
(fax) 617.695.9234
(web) Birger Engineering, Inc.

Bruce S. Yarock November 5th, 2011 11:35 AM

Re: Email update from Birger about Canon adapter

Just got a message from Eric Birger, and the unit will be shipping in January.
Thanks, Erice, if you're reeading this.
Bruce Yarock

Rob Katz November 7th, 2011 12:09 PM

bruce-

thanks for the updated info and for doing the legwork.

be well

rob
smalltalk productions

Robert Musiello November 9th, 2011 09:44 PM

Thanks Bruce...