Adjusting gain at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old November 15th, 2011, 09:34 PM   #1
Major Player

Adjusting gain

If this is possible, I haven't figured it out Any way to adjust gain, other then the 3 way selector switch? I'd love to be able to scroll through the different gain settings by dialing the wheel. Kind of a pain to have to go into the menu and assign the high, medium, and low values.

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 10:57 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Adjusting gain

Currently that's the only way to do it. You can set the gain to auto mode and it will float. Useful in certain circumstances.
John Mastrogiacomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 11:36 PM   #3
Major Player

Sony should be able to do it with a firmware change, but will they and when?
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 12:02 AM   #4
Major Player

I emailed and asked them to add more frame rate control in S&Q. They replied back that it was difficult to do in an AVCHD camera, but there engineers were looking into it. They also said that was a request they've gotten a lot for. I should have asked for better gain control also..lol
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 06:09 AM   #5
Contributor

I guess with traditional video cameras we've only flicked in gain when wide open and not enough light. The FS100 with it's hi ISO ability changes the paradigm a bit so that requests like this make a lot of sense.
Auto ISO might be a good enough option though, especially if the camera meters accurately or even consistently so you can offset it with exposure compensation (AE).
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 06:11 PM   #6
Major Player

Almost all Sony cameras including the top professional models will only give you a choice of three gain settings at a time, and all are selectable in the menu. This is common for other brands, as well.
Chuck Fishbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 06:51 PM   #7
Trustee

It's always been the standard way of doing it on ENG cameras, but the gain have never been so usefull than on today noise-free large sensor cameras. The best implementation of gain I ever seen is on CANON XL serie of cameras. The physical switch on the body alowed any gain setting from -3 to + 18 is 3db step, plus a button and a wheel to manually select any gain setting in 0.5db increment. Nice!

On the FS100, in the menu you can top the auto gain setting to 0 db. This way the gain button is your 0 db setting, and you can set 3 other values on the switch.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 11:54 AM   #8
Major Player

j-p-

that is an interesting thought.

thanks for sharing.

be well

rob
smalltalk productions
Rob Katz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta