DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/)
-   -   What tripod do you use with fs100? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/502727-what-tripod-do-you-use-fs100.html)

Jeff Troiano November 15th, 2011 11:49 PM

What tripod do you use with fs100?

Ok, going all post happy tonight.

Have my camera and loving it. I'm curious as to what tripods everyone out there recommends for the fs100? That's the next item on my list of equipment to buy. I was looking at the vinten vision blue, but since I'll be eventually adding a rail system and matte box, it was recommended to me that the 3AS what the best choice. I love what I've read about the head, and I could justify the cost of the head. But th complete system, with single stage legs, and mid level splitter is $2400. That happens to be about $800 more then I had planned to spend. I have some questions I'll post in the tripod forum, but posted this here cause I wanted to hear from other fs100 owners as to what they were using.

Thanks as always for the advice and info.

Jeff

Chuck Fishbein November 22nd, 2011 12:01 PM

Re: What tripod do you use with fs100?

Jeff,
Whether you are using an FS100 or an F3, my suggestion is not to go cheap on a tripod or decent fluid head. Along with decent glass, (lenses) it is possibly one of the most valuable purchases you can make in video production.

A decent fluid head will stay with you long after your camera is obsolete.

Jeff Troiano November 22nd, 2011 12:26 PM

Since I've posted this, I've decided on getting a Vinten Blue tripod. Their suggestion for an fs100. But once I start to outfit the cameram (rails, matte box, etc) I'll upgrade my head to the 3AS. On B&H, both systems come with the same 2 stage legs. Only the mid level splitter is different. Getting the Vision Blue system gives me a good setup to travel light with the fs100, then picking up the other head, allows me to use my camera loaded down. If you add up the price of the individual components on the vision blue system, the savings (when buying as a set) is almost enough to pick up the 3AS head alone.

Scott Cantrell November 22nd, 2011 02:52 PM

TapeWorks Texas Inc has the Vinten VB-AP2M Vision Blue system available for $1,099.99
TapeWorks Texas | Vinten VB-AP2M Vision Blue System Call us 866-TAPEGUY

And the V4043-0001 Vision 3AS Head available for $995.00

Contact Tapeworks Texas Inc toll free 866-827-3489 if you have any questions or if I can assist further.

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
TapeWorks Texas Inc - DVinfo Sponser
tapeworksscott@sbcglobal.net

Galen Rath November 22nd, 2011 09:06 PM

The Vision Blue head works fine when the FS100 is not loaded down, not so well when you approach the specified 11 lb limit. Doesn't the configuration of your rig, which affects the C.G. also determine how well the head works, not just the weight? Seems you need to keep the C.G. low as well as keep the weight down. Also the 3AS head is also rated for 11 lbs, so why would it work better for a loaded down fS100 than the Vision Blue?

Jeff Troiano November 22nd, 2011 09:15 PM

This was the email I received from Peter Harman, Product Manager for Vinten...

"Hi Jeff

I've done the calculations and the standard configuration of the NEX-FS100EK i.e. lens, body, eyecup, handle, battery etc is 2.76kg and I've estimated that the CofG will be about 65mm so it should balance perfectly through the full range of tilt. When you start adding things like a Matte box, light etc. it will raise the mass and affect the CofG so it may well fall outside the perfect balance range of Vision blue and up into the range of Vision 3AS. I suggest that you work out the maximum weight and estimate the CofG affect before you part with your hard earned cash. As much as id like you to own a Vision blue, you need to own something that you are completely happy with. You can always try it before you decide. Happy to help if I can."

Doug Jensen November 23rd, 2011 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Fishbein (Post 1698899)
Jeff,
Whether you are using an FS100 or an F3, my suggestion is not to go cheap on a tripod or decent fluid head. Along with decent glass, (lenses) it is possibly one of the most valuable purchases you can make in video production. A decent fluid head will stay with you long after your camera is obsolete.

Chuck has some great advice here. I don't know anything at all about the Vision Blue, but if you're cutting it that close on the weight limit, you're making a big mistake. Suppose next year you upgrade to a different camera that is a little heavier, or you decide to add a heavy PL lens to the FS100. Now you're screwed and have to buy another tripod. Think long term. Buy a tripod system that will last you for a decade or more. Cameras come and go, but tripods are something you should be happy with for many years.

Not only that, but my expereince has been that a tripod/head with a heavier weight limit will perform better overall than a system with a lower rating -- even it you are staying within the recommended limits.
A good tripod is your most importance accessory so don't skimp on it. Buy used if you must stay in a budget.

Les Wilson November 23rd, 2011 07:52 AM

Agree with Doug here... more range will benefit you. I can't tell if you are still shopping. As I said in my post over in the Sticks forum, Sachtler and Cartoni give you side mount mechanisms instead of the slide mount of the VB. Apropo the weight discussion here, the Sachtler FSB-6 model gives you another kilogram of range over the VB. The Cartoni Focus goes up to 11kg. A nice surprise I discovered on the Sachtler FSB head that I really like is the graduated marks on the quick release plate. This is a pleasure when you have various rigs that you use each with a different COG. Even with the same camera, sometime I mount it alone, other times with a teleprompter and other times with a VCT plate. The graduated marks make nailing the COG very repeatable and fast.

Once you move up to this range of heads, they are all pretty good and to be honest, you'll never want to go back. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the VB is a great head. I have and use the Sachtler and Cartoni and therefore I post based on my first hand experience. Others can advise you on the VB.

BTW, if you like to put a face to the name, I ran across this video with Peter in it:

Galen Rath November 23rd, 2011 11:13 AM

Les, maybe this is a typo: " The Cartoni Focus goes up to 11kg like the 3AS"

B&H says:

3AS range is 4.4-11 lbs
2-5kg

Scott Caplan November 23rd, 2011 11:20 AM

Sachtler FSB-4, buttery smooth operation with the NEX.

Scott

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Troiano (Post 1697398)
Ok, going all post happy tonight.

Have my camera and loving it. I'm curious as to what tripods everyone out there recommends for the fs100? That's the next item on my list of equipment to buy. I was looking at the vinten vision blue, but since I'll be eventually adding a rail system and matte box, it was recommended to me that the 3AS what the best choice. I love what I've read about the head, and I could justify the cost of the head. But th complete system, with single stage legs, and mid level splitter is $2400. That happens to be about $800 more then I had planned to spend. I have some questions I'll post in the tripod forum, but posted this here cause I wanted to hear from other fs100 owners as to what they were using.

Thanks as always for the advice and info.

Jeff

Galen Rath November 23rd, 2011 11:44 AM

The VB is smooth, too, even loaded down, no complaints there, it just won't hold it's tilt position without locking it down if it is overloaded/CG too high.

Paul Wood November 23rd, 2011 01:00 PM

I have the VB, and, of course was not planning to buy the FS100 when I bought it, (good forward planning), but it works fine with the VB. Fully fitted with a monitor, handle, Mattebox and rails, my FS100 weighs in at 10.5 lbs, and its at the limit of the VB, but as Galen says, still is very workable, even if holding the tilt position is a balancing act.

Jeff Troiano November 23rd, 2011 01:04 PM

I haven't yet bought, I'm also looking at the fsb6. I'm not 100% which way I'm going, as I don't have all the money yet. $1500 was my budget, but since I'm pretty much looking at a naked fs100, was leaning to the VB, with the intention of upgrading to the 3AS head down the road. Understand 11 pounds might be pushing, for a loaded camera. I wish I had a 3k budget, but I don't at the moment.

Galen Rath November 23rd, 2011 01:25 PM

Work-arounds can help with the VB weight issue, I got a Manfrotto super clamp to mount onto one tripod leg, and moved an external monitor from the camera to a two arm support rod attached to the clamp.

Dave Morrison November 23rd, 2011 10:45 PM

I've had the FSB6 for about 3 years and it's great. I also bought their Speedlock 75 sticks and I've been moderately okay with them. If I had it to do over again, I'd stick with carbon fiber but I'd go with individually locking levers on each leg section. I've had problems with the single-action speedlock getting loose over time. I almost dumped my whole EX1 system onto the floor.