HXR-FMU128 Flash Memory unit. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old November 20th, 2011, 12:26 AM   #1
Major Player

HXR-FMU128 Flash Memory unit.

Question #1: Can you not get the data off this with the USB port on the side of the camera? Do I have to take the unit out everytime and use the USB port on it?

Question #2: (I'm in PAL land). At HD PS - 1080p 50 frames 28Mbit, I don't get any audio off the unit unless I choose Dolby sound and not Linear PCM. I'm using a Windows 7 machine... is this just a codec issue on my PC?

Cheers in advance.
Old November 20th, 2011, 06:36 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: HXR-FMU128 Flash Memory unit.

[quote=Dennis Murphy;1698365]Question #1: Can you not get the data off this with the USB port on the side of the camera? Do I have to take the unit out everytime and use the USB port on it?QUOTE]

I believe you do have to remove the fmu from the camera to download the data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
Question #2: (I'm in PAL land). At HD PS - 1080p 50 frames 28Mbit, I don't get any audio off the unit unless I choose Dolby sound and not Linear PCM. I'm using a Windows 7 machine... is this just a codec issue on my PC?

I'm sorry I don't know the answer to this one
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2011, 07:34 PM   #3
Major Player

The PCM audio issue is probably a codec problem. I edit my HXR-NX5U video on a Windows 7 box and media player will not play the PCM audio. VLC (VideoLAN) is a good choice for a video player.
Old November 21st, 2011, 12:47 AM   #4
Major Player

Just to be clear, whether or not not your system recognizes LPCM audio from 1080/50p or 1080/60p footage has nothing to do with recording to the FMU.

It is indeed a "codec" issue. Some editing programs will will read LPCM audio from 28 Mbps 1080p footage and some will not. This has been an issue since the new 1080/p codeca came out with with the NX70 and FS100. As Victor points out, this was a problem for a while with LPCM audio on the NX5, as well, although the NXR shoots 1080/i AVCHD at 24 Mbps and, at least for my Win & system, that is a problem that has been solved. While I believe that VLC will play back LPCM audio with 28 Mbps, I'm not sure it will allow you to conver the audio streakm into something you can work with on an an NLE. Maybe somebody else can comment more knolwedgeably about this.
Jay West is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta