NEX-FS100 Reel at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old December 11th, 2011, 03:59 PM   #1
Major Player

NEX-FS100 Reel

We did this one as a showcase at a presentation about the camera. We tried to show many of the camera's feautres, based on various projects we've made. Shooting with photo lenses (FD in our case), shooting with the default 18-200 lens and autofocus, lowlight ability, 1080p50 as well as the super slo-mo. Ok the last one drops the quality and gives aliasing problems, but it is no secret, and after all, we don't consider it as a primary feature, but a nice "toy" (but I admit, I really love it). :)

Old December 11th, 2011, 04:07 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: NEX-FS100 Reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitris Mantalias View Post
...Shooting with photo lenses (FD in our case), shooting with the default 18-200 lens and autofocus,...
Thanks for sharing this great demo.
But can you tell me more about the image quality of these 2 lenses. which one has the best Image Quality (sharpness, contrast, color, things like that...)
Tanks for your feedback... and keep on shooting...
Erwin Vanderhoydonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2011, 04:31 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Erwin. Actually using the default 18-200 or photographic lenses, are day and night experiences. We use the first for more run-n-gun stuff, weddings for example. Still, it's totally great experience because the quality is very nice and the autofocus actually works great too! But using an adaptor for photographic lenses (be it Canon, Sony, Nicon, doesnt matter. We just had Canon FD lenses, so we went for the FD adapter). is the dream. Being a DSLR user for years, I found peace with this camera. Why? Minimum to no rolling shutter, no moire, proper antialiasing, and of course, no overheating. It's a real camera, doing the real thing. Also the DOF is almost exactly the one you get in cinema (with proper lenses of course).

But in few words, if you want the quality and doing staged filming, FD or Zeiss or A or Nikon lens or anything photographic, is the solution. Regarding clarity, 18-200, good as it is, can't beat those lens.
Old December 11th, 2011, 05:07 PM   #4
Trustee

Great demo.

I usually don't offer unsolicited advice, but the music track has a very high pitched squeal in it that I found grating and several other folks in the room while I watched it noticed. It is very offputting, and I didn't want you to be taken by surprise. :-)
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2011, 05:19 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Mike. About the music, I never thought about it, haha! :) Actually we showed this in huge screens and with VERY powerful sound system. Maybe we did some damage, who knows. :) But Sony's top people who were there were VERY excited about this, and liked the music as well! :) But now you said that, well, maybe some people freaked out.
Old December 11th, 2011, 08:19 PM   #6
Trustee

I noticed that all of the dark areas are muddy blue instead of crisp black. Was this intentionally done in grading?
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2011, 11:53 PM   #7
Major Player

Dimitris! Love it man!
Old December 12th, 2011, 12:59 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
I noticed that all of the dark areas are muddy blue instead of crisp black. Was this intentionally done in grading?
Yes, its all in the color grading. :)
Old December 12th, 2011, 04:18 PM   #9
Major Player

The music sounds great in my cans, and your visuals just makes me want this camera even more!
Cheers!
Old December 15th, 2011, 03:16 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Very nice!
Junior Pascual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 04:24 PM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Yes, its all in the color grading. :)
Some of the grading choices are.... interesting?

What did you do the slow motion in? It looks decent compared to other results I've seen from it.
Old December 18th, 2011, 01:47 AM   #12
Major Player

Well, since this was made with no client in mind, we took the liberty to color correct it as we felt. :) As for the slow motion, those very slow moves were done by shooting at 100fps mode and high shutter speeds and then Twixtor. When you twixtor with a high shutter footage, the results are always really nice.
Old December 18th, 2011, 11:04 AM   #13
Vortex Media

Quote:
As for the slow motion, those very slow moves were done by shooting at 100fps mode and high shutter speeds . . .

100fps? That is interesting because the camera does not have a 100fps mode.
Old December 18th, 2011, 02:55 PM   #14
Major Player

It has and it hasnt. There is this option, smooth slow rec, where with the press of a button, camera records a short burst of 3 secs which then outputs as 12 secs in very very smooth quality. Ok, there are issues, sensor is cropped, resolution drops and there are aliasing problems, but its more of an extra than a main feature. Thing is that although not a real 120 (or 100 if you are in PAL) fps mode, although mentioned around with that name, the result is definitely looking like such. Add a very high shutter when light is good, Twixtor it and you have super slow, super smooth motion that goes beyond the 100 fps look easily. Noticed that shot with the guy diving into the pool and goes through the belts?
Old December 18th, 2011, 03:27 PM   #15
Vortex Media

Okay, I see what you are talking about now. I just didn't really think anyone would actually use that "mode" of the FS100. In my opinion it is a gimmick that has no business even being included on the FS100. Congratulations If you got acceptable results from it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta