FS100 and Atomos Ninja vs EX3 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old January 9th, 2012, 12:47 PM   #16
New Boot

Re: FS100 and Atomos Ninja vs EX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Spear View Post
Walter and Sean

Thanks for your input. Apart from seeing the differences in low light and when doing lots of post work is there anything else that shows up when comparing the onboard AVCHD and the Ninja's ProRes?
Hallo Simon,
it depends on what you are shooting. I did some wide shots recently, the landscape on sunny day with some trees in the foreground and pine forest in the background, pines were moving slightly, and you can clearly see the artifacts on those pine trees when you watch AVCHD footage. With Ninja it is OK. No post work was done. I am watching my pictures on consumer Sony LCD 42´´ TV set in my editing room.
Walter Uhrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 05:11 AM   #17
Major Player

Re: FS100 and Atomos Ninja vs EX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Vincent View Post
Hi Simon

In good lighting, there really isn't any difference visable to the eye. If you are just going to rely on getting the look you want in camera and not grade it at all, i don't see a problem with using the internal codec.

However, i'm a Final Cut user, and the AVCHD is a pain in the ass to work with i find... it's do-able for sure... but not ideal. Taking a Pro Res file directly from the Ninja to the timeline is pure bliss in comparison.

FCP will let you 'log and transfer' the AVCHD files, but only directly from the SDHC card they were captured on... if you've moved the files or are capturing from a back-up... it won't see them. Huge pain.

I use 2 small 120GB drives in the Ninja and that easily covers a full days shoot.

I only use the AVCHD when shooting 1080p slo-mo. This is worth the hassle of converting to Pro Res later as it's stunning... way better than the 720p that even the F3 shoots slo-mo in.
Sean I use a Nexto backup and always backup my SD cards to a second pocket drive. I have never had problems with the files I get from my current camera an HMC 150. My process is to create a dated folder and then copy the complete "Private" folder the camera creates into that folder. When I log and transfer I set the path to the "Private" folder within the dated folder I have created and it works like a champ.
Will this change with the files created in the FS100 I am about to buy? I will be using a Ninja as well but sometimes go only with the camera to keep the kit light.
Best
Brian

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta