DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/)
-   -   "out-of-the-box" picture profile - What are you using? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/504876-out-box-picture-profile-what-you-using.html)

Jean-Philippe Archibald January 30th, 2012 08:54 AM

"out-of-the-box" picture profile - What are you using?

About 50% of my work involve shooting for others when at the end of the day, I give the producer / client the footage and I have no control on what it's done in post. Most of the time, there is no grading at all done on the footage. So in these situation, I try to use a basic picture profile that will look good most of the time out of the box.

For now, What I do is using the stock PP5, whth the knee point set to 90% and the slope to -2. This way I get a great looking image, with a good balance of contrast and dynamic range.

But I'm interested to know what others do in the same situation. Do you have some tricks to share?

Simon Spear February 3rd, 2012 06:23 PM

Re: "out-of-the-box" picture profile - What are you using?

For straight out of the box I've also been using PP5.

David M. Spell February 6th, 2012 09:50 AM

I haven't experimented that much with non-stock profiles but it's on my to-do list. For client shoots I am using PP3 and for my own personal stuff PP4. In Avid Media Composer 5.x I can color correct those two very easily.

Frank Glencairn February 7th, 2012 02:53 AM

Have a look at my profiles: Free Picture Profiles for the Sony FS100 Frank Glencairn

Cees van Kempen February 7th, 2012 08:36 AM

Frank, I experimented a bit with your C-LOG A profile, which gives a very nice flat picture for grading. However, not being a professional colorist Iīd like to find a profile that better matches my EX3īs Cinegamma profile. Do you have a suggestion?

Jean-Philippe Archibald February 7th, 2012 02:45 PM

Frank, Your profiles are awesome. I use GLOG A a lot. But this is not an "out of the box" profile. I don,t think GlenColor is either. I would not let the footage go away with these profile when I am unsure of what will be happening in post (if any post at all...)

Frank Glencairn February 9th, 2012 05:06 AM

Have you tried my K-Tone?

Itīs a out of the box profile.
You can push it further with the supplied LUT, but thatīs more creative decision than a need.

Sony FS100 K-Tone Picture Profile – Everyting looks better on Kodachrome Frank Glencairn

David M. Spell February 16th, 2012 09:40 AM

For even more options AbelCine has posted some PPs as well: FS100 Scene Files from AbelCine | CineTechnica