DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/)
-   -   Sony fs100 did it take a while to learn to use? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/506407-sony-fs100-did-take-while-learn-use.html)

Dave Morgan March 26th, 2012 06:57 PM

Sony fs100 did it take a while to learn to use?

Just was wondering about the learning curve for the fs100 if there is one or not? I don't own one but thought about renting 1 for certain projects. I know how to shoot and have used multiple types of cameras.

But I was wondering if I did rent one, how long I would need to get familiar with it.

Tom Abray March 26th, 2012 08:16 PM

Re: Sony fs100 did it take a while to learn to use?

If you've used a Sony before, it shouldn't take long at all. I've owned a PD150 and an EX1 and I see some elements of both in the fs100. And from using the Canon 7d, I was used to dealing with the shallow dof.

If you're really keen, you could read the manual before you rent it :)

Glen Vandermolen March 26th, 2012 08:51 PM

I've had my FS100 for half a year now. I find I did have a learning curve. Its design and layout are nothing like a "typical" camcorder. Not bad, just different.
But more than anything, it's getting used to the Super-35mm sensor. If you have experience shooting video with DSLRs, this won't be such a mystery. If you're shooting outdoors, a variable ND filter or a matte box with ND filters is a must. Matte boxes don't work well on DSLR zooms, as they extend when you zoom in. The sensor is very sensitive and great for low light conditions. Focusing is very critical - use the extended focus feature and peaking.

Doug Jensen March 27th, 2012 05:26 AM

Like Tom says, it's easier to grasp the basics if you have experience with other Sony camcorders. But, there are lots of little of details that can be difficult to get a handle on -- and great features that are easy to overlook.

MASTERING THE SONY NEX-FS100 CAMCORDER

Les Wilson March 27th, 2012 05:34 AM

Just to pile on what Doug said. I had to come up to speed on an ex1r in a weeks time. Enough to shoot b-roll. The Vortex guide was great that way. Straight and to the point. The info you need is there to get you going. You can skip chapters the first time and come back to it. I presume the fs100 is also like that. Ymmv

Matt Davis March 29th, 2012 07:16 AM

The biggest challenge I found with the FS100 was 'muscle memory' - knowing instinctively where a specific button was. Therefore, reaching and feeling for the expanded focus button would sometimes mean I hit the iris button instead. Unfortunately, this blanks the screen until you can press ANOTHER button to clear it (or tap the touch screen if you're using it).

Also, deleting a clip, or a range of clips, is tricky and needs practice as it's NOT the thing to work out when you're suddenly short of space and need to get rid of a couple of clips.

The buttons ARE small and can be fiddly, so those with clumsy paws (yours truly) will need to keep an eagle eye on the viewfinder to check they've not accidentally pressed a vital button by accident leaving you on ATW.

So... I'm an advocate of owning a lesser camera and knowing it inside out rather than renting a larger camera when I need it, which is not exactly a popular or even logical choice for most, but works best for me.

Allan Black April 20th, 2012 01:41 AM

A neat thing to do is .. once you get sorta familiar, put a sleep mask on and learn to set it up by touch. Like teaching flyers in a blind ground trainer.

It works but don't drop the cam and don't fall asleep.

Cheers.