FS100 Hand Grip Extension at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old July 18th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #1
Tourist

FS100 Hand Grip Extension

I always thought Sony should have included a way to move the hand grip forward so that it could be used in the proper ENG style (just to the right of the lens). There's enough wire for it so you could still use the record trigger. I have a shoulder mount for my FS100 and holding it with the hand grip in the default position would require a 2nd elbow on my right arm. So, I'm making this:

The item pictured is just a prototype. The final will be anodized black and will come with a 1/4" thumb screw. The goal is to keep it simple and inexpensive.
I'm posting here to gauge interest. If enough people are interested, I'll whip up a batch. Let me know.
-Ben
Ben Myrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2012, 07:03 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: FS100 Hand Grip Extension

Very nicely made Ben!
Does this also make the side grip stronger? I mean, when you directly connect the side handle to the FS100, it always has a bit of play / movement (due to the plastic I think). I was always hoping someone would make a new side handle or connection for the FS100 that is a lot stronger.
The new FS700 has a new way of attaching the side handle which looks a lot sturdier.

For me personally the handle doesn't have to be placed more forward, but I'm interested in whether this makes a stronger connection between side handle and camera. Perhaps you could also create a new in-between connection?

Last edited by Derran Rootring; July 19th, 2012 at 07:34 AM.
Derran Rootring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2012, 07:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Myrick View Post
I always thought Sony should have included a way to move the hand grip forward so that it could be used in the proper ENG style (just to the right of the lens). There's enough wire for it so you could still use the record trigger. I have a shoulder mount for my FS100 and holding it with the hand grip in the default position would require a 2nd elbow on my right arm. So, I'm making this:

The item pictured is just a prototype. The final will be anodized black and will come with a 1/4" thumb screw. The goal is to keep it simple and inexpensive.
I'm posting here to gauge interest. If enough people are interested, I'll whip up a batch. Let me know.
-Ben
Very nice.How much will they cost Ben?
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2012, 12:28 PM   #4
Trustee

Egad, this may even make me dig out the grip from the bottom of my 'cupboard of doom'.
Old July 19th, 2012, 05:16 PM   #5
Major Player

I'm interested in one.
Dan
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2012, 11:29 AM   #6
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derran Rootring View Post
Very nicely made Ben!
Does this also make the side grip stronger? I mean, when you directly connect the side handle to the FS100, it always has a bit of play / movement (due to the plastic I think). I was always hoping someone would make a new side handle or connection for the FS100 that is a lot stronger.
The new FS700 has a new way of attaching the side handle which looks a lot sturdier.

For me personally the handle doesn't have to be placed more forward, but I'm interested in whether this makes a stronger connection between side handle and camera. Perhaps you could also create a new in-between connection?
Thanks. Next week, I will test a new version that includes tighter tolerances than what Sony used, which will take up all the looseness possible. That said, the hand grip itself has some inherent play inside the rotating part, which can't be remedied with any kind of external attachment. In other words, because of the cheap design of the hand grip itself it will never feel 100% solid, but this bracket should feel slightly more solid than stock.

The FS100 uses the Arri rosette mount, which has been used on larger film cameras for decades because of its inherent sturdiness. Why Sony didn't start with that design is beyond me.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 11:41 AM   #7
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalan Salur View Post
Very nice.How much will they cost Ben?
I can't comment on that until I know what it will cost to make a batch. Right now I'm just gauging interest to see if I could sell enough to justify the cost of running a whole batch of these. And the more interest I get from people on the forums, the larger the batch I will run, which translates to lower production costs, supply and demand, blah blah blah, etc.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 10:58 PM   #8
Trustee

I'm interested.
Bruce Yarock
Yarock Productions
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 01:24 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Ben,
I'm also interested.

Jr. Pascual
49 Productions
Junior Pascual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 03:49 AM   #10
Tourist

will buy one!
Jakob Gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2012, 03:04 PM   #11
New Boot

I might actually use my handgrip if I had one of these. If the price was reasonable I'd certainly buy one.
Timo Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 07:13 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Any news on this?
Old September 13th, 2012, 01:22 PM   #13
Trustee

Interested too!
Old September 23rd, 2013, 04:31 PM   #14
Tourist

I Hope you makes these, I want one too please!
Cynthia Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 04:00 PM   #15
Tourist

I'm also interested!
David McClean is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta