FS100 loose HDMI port at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old November 11th, 2012, 06:01 PM   #1
Trustee

FS100 loose HDMI port

After many uses, the HDMI port on my camera is finally going wonky. You have to push the HDMI cable off to the left in order for it to send a signal to the monitor. Also, unlike analog formats, 99% of the signal won't get you 99% of the picture, it'll get you nothing. So a little camera shake loses the attached monitor for what feels like forever.

Has this happened to anyone else? I guess I have to send the camera in for repair - any ideas on what it'll cost?
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 04:05 PM   #2
Contributor

Re: FS100 loose HDMI port

HDMI ports are, in my opinion, designed to fail when used on anything but stationary TVs at home. Zacuto sells a device that clamps to the cable and to a rod so once the cable is plugged in, you can't damage it. It's very easy to bump the cable, and even a slight bump can damage the cable or the port. I hate HDMI ports more than I used to hate those flimsy mini firewire ports.

Zacuto is not the only company that makes a device like this, but I don't know the names of the others.

Things that will always eventually fail: HDMI ports, firewire ports, mini audio ports.

My experience with HDMI is that in most cases it's the cable that fails. Can you feel the port moving, ie., are you sure it's not the cable?
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 04:09 PM   #3
Contributor

Here's the Zacuto part I was talking about. It only works with some other devices they sell...I think if you have the Gorilla Plate it will attach to that. Expensive but reliable. Of course this won't do you any good if the port is dead, but maybe something to consider after it's repaired.

Pincher
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 01:33 PM   #4
Major Player

Has anybody tried the locking HDMI cables? I've always been curious if this would be a safer approach to using these troublesome cables.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2012, 02:13 AM   #5
Regular Crew

My HDMI port is moving a bit too, but signal is still good.
I always wonder if every FS100's HDMI port is a bit loose or the cable will stay very film after plugging in.

I now use a L shape adaptor to make the cable facing down after plugging in
Thomas Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 12:10 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I use HDMI cables with swivel joints at both ends.
All the stress is now on the cable.

Bill Kerrigan
Montreal
http://fs700user.com
Bill Kerrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 08:18 PM   #7
Regular Crew

my HDMI port is a bit loose too, it moves up & down instead.. or is it normal that the port is a bit loose like that? I still can get video signal so far
Thomas Wong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta