Newbie looking for FS100 advice / Insights - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old March 30th, 2014, 01:25 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Re: Newbie looking for FS100 advice / Insights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Holt View Post
Hello all,

I've posted a few questions around here (DVinfo.net) as I am trying to make some equipment decisions. With my budget of about $5000 for a camera, I have narrowed my choices to either a used EX3 or a new FS100. Only recently have I tilted to the FS100. I am an experienced shooter though I haven't held a camera in quite some time. Here are the questions...

1. Would you recommend getting the package with the kit lens? I have some Vintage Minolta MD Primes and two zooms (28-70 & 70-200) that are a good bit faster than the kit lens. I do shoot live sporting events on occasion where I really rely on the autofocus. How is the auto focus on the kit lens? Is there a better Sony lens than the kit? I saw this servo zoom version for about $1200 but the FS100 hand grip doesn't have a rocker switch so it seems you have to control it from the lens. Anyone using that lens? Here's a link to the lens. Sony 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 PZ OSS Alpha E-mount Lens SELP-18200 B&H Will this lens even work with the FS100?
hey Joe,
i personally love the kit lens. autofocus is SILENT!!! never had a lens be this quiet. its not speedy, but its good and its quiet. i just leave it on autofocus mode at all times mostly. next point to consider is this lens has builtin Active Optical Steady Shot. its super smooth! i've shown footage to people who thought i was using a steadicam!
i think it has a place in every FS100 users pack, but if you do sports it won't focus fast enough i think. :-( sorry. a camera with a deeper depth of field may be necessary.
yes that powerzoom will work with any Sony e-mount camera, but you must control the powerzoom from the lens. i have used it before.
Chris Quevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2014, 09:39 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Holt View Post
Thank you guys for the quick replies. I guess I confused things a bit with too many questions. I should have first asked.

How do you guys like the kit lens for general run and gun shooting? Is the zoom ring smooth enough that you could do a live manual zoom while the autofocus did it's thing? Is anyone using the $1200 Sony lens with the zoom servo on a FS100? I posted a link to the lens at B&H in my fist post. I've noticed that poeple are using it with the FS700 but haven't read anything about it's campatibility with the FS100. Bottom line, Is it worth the extra $700 over the kit lens?

I won't be primarily shooting sports but It may happen on occasion. I will mostly be shooting corporate and industrial videos for distribution on the net and on DVD/BlueRay. I really want to work with the super 35 sensor so i can play with my vintage primes but I also want as flexible of a rig as possible. I guess I really want you guys to tell me how much you really love (or hate) shooting with the FS100. Do you use the kit lens regularly or does it ride around in your bag, unused?
I
Thanks again!
hey again!

to answer this question. I LOVE it. I've used Panasonic HVX200's and Canon and nikon DSLR's, but this is by far the best run and gun can I've ever had. I never have had a camera I can just leave ISO in auto and autofocus on at all time and just never worry if I'll miss the shot. and even as high sometimes as 8000 ISO i get no to little grain. certainly not as much as the canons and the panasonic hvx200 sucks in comparison!

I wish I had 2 of them!!! and when I say run and gun I mean for hours without a shoulder rig just walking around handheld filming documentary style. the kit lens is worth it, and the power zoom lens is ok. but not a vey fast powerzoom. it IS comparable. even it's highest speed of power zoom is pretty slow. be warned. otherwise it's the EXACT same lens as the usual kit lens. same AMAZING optical stabilization. etc. I haven't really tried following a ball game :-/ sorry
Chris Quevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 02:14 AM   #33
Major Player

I've tested numerous solutions for lenses on the FS100. These are my findings:

1. Kit lens. Optically good, image stabilizer efficient and quiet, but zoom tends to move without touching it, because the glass is s heavy. Therefor, I do not use it often.

2. All my Canon DSLR lenses with the Metabones Mk II adapter. This expensive adapter is worthless for video.It will keep the image stabilization, but that's about the only advantage. No real autofocus and changing the aperture with the dial on the camera will cause the lens aperture to briefly open completely between stops, resulting in a terrible flicker in the image. So changing aperture while filming can NOT be done. I don't know if mine is a lemon, but in these conditions this very expensive adapter is not worth one third of it's price.

3. Old, manual Nikon lenses with a cheap Fotasy Nikon/NEX adapter. No autofocus, no image stabilization, but perfect light control with the manual aperture on the lens. Plus a huge choice of lenses, like 50mm 1,4 on the second hand market, for pennies. Even super-long lenses and exotic ones like tilt & shift come at a bargain. I use my good old 50mm 1,4 a lot, for its beautiful DOF.

4. Rokinon (=Samyang in Europe) 35mm T1,5. This is, as far as I am concerned, the winner. This inexpensive lens has a declicked aperture ring, very smooth autofocus, and no adapter needed. It is very sharp and well made. I will certainly buy some more of these, for example the 85 and 24 mm.

5. Sony's own NEX 16-50 pancake lens, with auto zoom (on the lens). This a very good second, especially if I want to keep things really lightweight. Sharpness is excellent in most zoom positions, there is some cushion distortion, but the auto zoom on the lens can come in handy.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta