DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/)
-   -   Canon lens making a clicking noise on fs100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/516614-canon-lens-making-clicking-noise-fs100.html)

Lico Francisco May 17th, 2013 10:12 PM

Canon lens making a clicking noise on fs100

Hi Guys,

Well today i got my sony fs100. Not enough money yet to get the sony lens. Maybe will have to wait like 3 months to get it. Good think i don't have anything plan so far. Only church event which i think i can get away with using the sony fs100 as my second camera as i learn to use it. i was using my canon 50MM 1.8. It was making a clicking noise. I see that the iris was closing up and opening up. Any way i can stop it from doing that. I am using the metabones V1. also on the side of the metabones i see a connection that looks like usb. Is there anything i can add to it. Also there is a button at the bottom. Which i have not touch yet since i am reading up on the camera and also watching the Mastering the sony Nex Fs100 camcorder. Any advice is recommended.

Bo-Ming Tong May 18th, 2013 12:14 AM

Re: Canon lens making a clicking noise on fs100

Canon lenses, especially the older designs, have pretty noisy irises that could be a detraction for cinematographic work. It is advisable to turn off auto iris when using Canon lenses. Just push the IRIS button until the "A" next to the aperture value goes away, and turn the thumbwheel to adjust the aperture.

Sherman Bahr May 18th, 2013 02:10 AM

Other than that how are you liking your FS100?

Alister Chapman May 18th, 2013 02:25 AM

And Sigma's tend to be even noisier. One of those things people don't consider when using lenses designed for mute stills photography on a video camera.

The Sony lenses are extremely quiet and the iris steps are smaller so well suited to video, but still not perfect.

Lico Francisco May 18th, 2013 09:44 AM

I may have to sell the camera. It comes with metabones, sony fmu128, berkley system, and fd nex adapter

Joe Holt May 18th, 2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lico Francisco (Post 1796082)
I may have to sell the camera. It comes with metabones, sony fmu128, berkley system, and fd nex adapter

Why is that? I've had mine for just over a month now and I'm really liking it. I do have the kit lens which works great for run and gun. I really like the low light capabilities of the camera and have an array of Vintage Minolta manual lenses which I'm just itching to use. The kit lens is virtually silent as I have recorded some audio in some very quiet locations with the included mini shotgun mic and I can't hear any noises coming from the camera. I'm shooting a wedding tomorrow and two dance recitals next week and I suspect the FS100 with the kit lens is going to work great. It's 18mm - 200mm for goodness sake! It's every lens in 1 package. It's not the fastest but with the FS100's ability to add lots of gain with very little noise, it is a very good lens to use with this camera even in low light.

Chris Medico May 18th, 2013 01:10 PM

The Canon consumer lenses are quite noisy.

The 50mm "L" lens and it is MUCH quieter.

Bill Pryor May 18th, 2013 03:55 PM

I have 3 Canon L lenses I use on my FS100 with the Metabones adapter. No problems at all.
I think you can send the Metabones adapter back and they will upgrade it. There are some software changes in the new version. The USB port is for software changes, but you can't do it yourself. Check the Metabones site. There are some Canon lenses that do not work well with it. It sounds to me like the lens isn't making a good connection.

Chris Medico May 18th, 2013 04:06 PM

The 50mm 1.8 the OP has isn't an L. Its a consumer lens. That lens wasn't designed to be quiet.

Alister Chapman May 19th, 2013 01:35 AM

Instead of selling the camera sell the canon lenses and get some Nikon lenses with manual aperture control. Or get a ND fader for small exposure adjustments and just use the iris for setting the base exposure and fine tune with the ND fader.

Bill Pryor May 19th, 2013 09:47 AM

He says the iris is opening up and closing down on its own. That implies something's wrong in some electronic connection. There's nothing inherently wrong with using non-L lenses. However, I agree that manual Nikkors are better if you have them de-clicked (aperture stops are in big increments).

Lico Francisco May 19th, 2013 10:28 AM

Actually iris was on auto that is why it was making the clicking sound. Once i turn it off everything is working. But still i may sell it . Any pic profile you guys recommend. I was watching the dvd to master the fs100 yesterday. I have a lot to learn . I wanted to keep my canon lens to take pictures. Me and my buddie we go out in the night time to take pics of downtown LA.

Bill Pryor May 21st, 2013 03:41 PM

Oh yeah that would do it. I never thought of that because I never though of turning on the auto iris. You can't shoot video with auto stuff turned on. It will cause you all kinds of problems.

Lico Francisco May 21st, 2013 03:54 PM

The video looks sharp even on my nifty fifty once i dial the fstop down to 1.8