DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/)
-   -   Right way to back-up and archive clips from SDHC card? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/521804-right-way-back-up-archive-clips-sdhc-card.html)

Luc De Wandel February 22nd, 2014 11:58 AM

Right way to back-up and archive clips from SDHC card?

I'm new to the NXCAM-workflow, and I wonder if there is a foolproof (with data check) way to back-up the files from te SDHC card, coming from my FS100, to a hard disk. My other workflow, XDCAM, uses XDCAM browser software to do this job, but there's apparently no such thing as XDCAM Browser for NXCAM.

Yes, I do have a disk with 'Content Management Utility' that came with the FS100, but to my surprise that software is only for Windows. And if I search the web, I find a 'Content Browser' for NXCAM, but I would have to pay for it (something like 20 euro's, if I'm not mistaken). I'd hate to pay for this utility, taking into consideration that there's a free utility for Windows in the basic package of the FS100.

So, what my question boils down to is: is there a (free) application that will do the same as XDCAM Browser (copy files with data check) for NXCAM? Or should I just drag and drop the 'Private' file from the card to the disk. Without any data control, then...

Les Wilson February 22nd, 2014 02:42 PM

Re: Right way to back-up and archive clips from SDHC card?

As of a couple years ago, Sony started charging for Content Browser which replaced XDCAM browser. Even after paying the money, you lose the ability to see the exposure, profile etc settings that were used for the clip. There's a pro version for more money that supposedly provides it but it's windows only.

CAVEAT: I am speaking as an XDCAM user not NXCAM. YMMV

One thing that may help is Clip Wrap. The latest version can see the clips inside the PRIVATE file. I believe you can try before you buy.

Luc De Wandel February 23rd, 2014 07:52 AM

The Content Management Utility still comes for free with a new FS100, but only for a Windows platform. So that is really bad marketing practice from Sony, as I think they should treat all their customers in the same way. I disgust paying extra for the same utility just because I use a Mac.

I know ClipWrap, but that does not do what XDCAM browser does for me in my XDCAM workflow. I'm looking for a duplicating and archiving workflow that is foolproof, complete with data check. I think the Content Management Utility that came with my FS100 does exactly that, but I cannot even find out, because it's only Windows. That, in my humble opinion, is incredible.

So I will certainly NOT buy any software from Sony to do what Windows users get for free. I'll have to try and find a work-around. I could of course just copy/paste the entire 'Private' file, but is this reliable enough? And, I want to be able to select which clips I'm going to copy, in order to avoid unnecessary hard-disk usage.

Any suggestions?

Luc De Wandel February 24th, 2014 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Wilson (Post 1833437)
As of a couple years ago, Sony started charging for Content Browser which replaced XDCAM browser. Even after paying the money, you lose the ability to see the exposure, profile etc settings that were used for the clip. There's a pro version for more money that supposedly provides it but it's windows only.

CAVEAT: I am speaking as an XDCAM user not NXCAM. YMMV

One thing that may help is Clip Wrap. The latest version can see the clips inside the PRIVATE file. I believe you can try before you buy.

Just downloaded the trial version of ClipWrap and that is the best solution, I think. It indeed recognizes the individual clips in the 'Private' folder, and I can save the converted 'mov'-files to my back-up/archive disk drive. It will mean another $50 purchase, but I'd rather buy from these guys than from Sony, who let their customers down, in my opinion.

Thanks for the advice!