DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/)
-   -   2 GB limit (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/525337-2-gb-limit.html)

Frank Garrod October 9th, 2014 07:52 PM

2 GB limit

Just purchased a Sony fs100 & Sony vg30 for low light wedding use over our Canon XLH1 only to find out that every 2 GBs it splits a file only to lose audio. We have not used these out in the field yet is this true? If so what do you do to avoid this? Really looking for advice thank you very much.

Michael Bradshaw October 9th, 2014 08:41 PM

Re: 2gb limit

You need to use the software that comes with the camera. It will rejoin everything for you and name the files according to date and time. If you do this the audio will be intact.

M.

Chris Harding October 9th, 2014 09:05 PM

Re: 2 GB limit

No issue Frank

Just download the Content Management Utility from Sony and it will join up any split files without any audio gap. Make sure you get Version 2 ... You connect the camera initially but after that it will just read from the card in your computer's card reader. All AVCHD cameras have split files!

Search the Sony EA-50 forum ..there is an extensive thread on it there and a link to download (free of course)

Chris

Chris Harding October 9th, 2014 09:07 PM

Some cameras only ship with version one so make sure you get Version 2 of the Content Management Utility NOT the Content Management Browser!! On Sony website!

Frank Garrod October 10th, 2014 06:57 AM

I downloaded the sony software and it has asked to plug in my fs100.
Now the question is do I use the utility always to import my sd card
or can I just plug in my card and import into my NLE software.
I am not understanding how the 2 files are joined properly.
Thank you in advance.

Frank Garrod October 10th, 2014 06:58 AM

I will read that forum Chris

Frank Garrod October 10th, 2014 07:14 AM

1 more question, do I do this install for each camera vg30 and fs100

Jeff Pulera October 10th, 2014 07:46 AM

Hi Frank,

Before using a Sony utility, I'll ask what do you edit with? With Adobe Premiere, do NOT use any conversion or transfer utility software - copy the ENTIRE contents of the memory card straight to the computer media drive, all folders intact. There is metadata in those folders that is important.

In Premiere, rather than "File > Import" which brings in the broken clips with audio gaps, use "Media Browser" to import. This understands that AVCHD file structure and will intelligently import ONE long clip from the broken parts and that clip will be seamless for editing. Nothing is rewritten, rather it just properly interprets the source media.

I'd read posts that suggest Sony Vegas will do something similar, but have no experience with that. In general, it is best to not "mess with" the source files prior to editing if it can be helped. Depends on the NLE I guess. If you do "convert" the footage somehow, good idea to keep a backup of the unmolested footage as well until the project is delivered. Just in case.

Thanks

Chris Harding October 10th, 2014 08:10 AM

Hi Jeff

Yep Vegas will do it as well but I find it's a pain copying the entire file to the drive and then getting the NLE to join the files. Using the Sony utility it simply reads the card in the computer and does the copying for you straight to your folder selected. I just find it way easier.

Frank? You need to connect the FS100 to your computer initially after installing the utility so it can setup the software for a Sony camera. Once that is done, disconnect the camera and the utility will allow you to join and import any Sony AVCHD files on the card directky from your card reader so you only need to connect the camera the first time. The FS and VG use the same structures so cards from either camera will be able to be imported direct from the reader then. If you have been shooting shorter clips simply copy them direct from the reader. You don't need the utility at all. Just be careful though ..if you shoot a LONG clip the card will show MTS0000 as a 2GB file and then MTS0001 as a 2GB file and then MTS00002 as maybe less than 2GB ... the entire clip therefore is made up of all 3 files.

Chris

Frank Garrod October 10th, 2014 08:29 AM

Well I am a old time pinnacle 16 user, it imports the files fines from the card.
If I do a church wedding I might have both cams running 1 hour straight.
I tried it a few minutes ago and the utility joined the two 11:47 clips together
BUT the file is now 27:41 long
I did check at the 11:47 mark and it is seamless.
I will video a digital timer with music background so I can see what is happening
also under properties the .mts became .m2ts
Thank you once again.
We are excited changing from tape to cards.

Frank Garrod October 10th, 2014 09:49 AM

Thank to all,
Chris I have it perfect..................
Once again thank you for the support.
Frank

Chris Harding October 10th, 2014 06:37 PM

Yep it does change the extension to MT2S for reasons I have yet to fathom out and also gives it a long and awkward file name based on date/time so you might want to rename to make it more visible.

Does anyone know if you can change these parameters in the Utility ...I don't mind an MT2S file but a more sensible extension would be nice!

Chris

Paul Wood October 10th, 2014 11:59 PM

Sony have a new content software called Catalyst Browse, which replaces the older content browsers - it will also allow basic colour adjustment and file conversion.
You can find it here:

Sony Creative Software - Catalyst Browse

Chris Harding October 11th, 2014 01:27 AM

Thanks Paul

I am assuming since you posted in this thread the new utility will also automatically make split files into one clip? It looks interesting so I downloaded it. Will try it out later. The Content Management Utility was a little cumbersome so this might be better??

Chris

Chris Harding October 11th, 2014 01:52 AM

Has anyone tried this ?? I have a card with 5 MTS files on it but MTS0002 and MTS0003 are one sequence split when the first clip reached 2GB yet the new software still shows all 5 files where it should be showing the split file as one clip

Is there anything else one has to do to get this software to join the files..if I select both to copy it also shows it as 2 files to be copied not 1

Chris