Rig So Far... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old April 15th, 2015, 12:19 AM   #1
Major Player

Rig So Far...

I have said that I would post a pic of my rig that I am Piecing together and I finally have some of here. I'm still waiting on the counterweights as I have my tool guys banging out a few for me. In this pic I have my smartphone on the rig instead of my Monitor. I was comparing the footage from my Lumia 1520 recording at 4K with my FS100 recording at 1080P for the guys over at Windows Central.
Attached Thumbnails
Rig So Far...-v__9c2d.jpg   Rig So Far...-v__b4f4.jpg  

Rig So Far...-v__cb96.jpg  
Aaron Jones Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 01:09 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Rig So Far...

I figured I should post a few that gives a decent look... With this configuration I do not need the monitor when in hand held mode. This setup allows me to be very close to to the LCD Screen to use the viewfinder tube or just free style without it. I really enjoy this style so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Rig So Far...-wp_20150415_03_12_00_pro.jpg   Rig So Far...-wp_20150415_03_11_37_pro.jpg  

Rig So Far...-wp_20150415_03_13_56_pro.jpg   Rig So Far...-wp_20150415_03_13_10_pro.jpg  

Rig So Far...-wp_20150415_03_12_54_pro.jpg  
Old April 17th, 2015, 03:04 AM   #3
Major Player

So after a little trial and error I have come up with an extra contact point for my rig giving me a little more stability. At the rear of the cam the rails are extended and I will add a pad for a chest contact point. I got the weight mounted but I'm not satisfied as of yet. I want the weight to have a little more leverage and hang down a little more pulling the rig in the front up and this will allow me to decrease the amount of weight. I'm slow walking this down and fine tuning to be a comfortable rig for me. Once I get the weight to more leveraged I'm sure this will work out better than I expected.

Here is the pad I have on the way:

Attached Thumbnails
Rig So Far...-wp_20150417_04_45_16_pro.jpg   Rig So Far...-wp_20150417_04_46_14_pro.jpg  

Rig So Far...-photonote_wp_20150417_04_46_03_pro_3926.jpg  
Old April 17th, 2015, 11:00 AM   #4
Major Player

Nice setup Aaron.

I took mine the other way, for more of an ENG setup. The BTS photographer snapped this picture during a rare tripod shot. The camera is usually on the shoulder with the same pad you're using, placed on the rods under the body of the camera (right between the middle two red screws). With it there, and with the battery behind the shoulder it's almost balanced. The monitor stays on the camera but goes up by the mattebox. The whole rig weighs in around 9lbs. The beachtek box in front of the battery is mixing the camera's output with the crew walkie chatter, not going into the camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Rig So Far...-dsc04656.jpg  
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2015, 01:00 PM   #5
Major Player

Very Awesome Matt! I will try to build my next rig for my second FS100 where the shoulder pad is under the cam to see how I like the feel. Looking at your pic here it looks to be more compact and easier to maneuver. Looks great! What kind of battery pack is that you are using?

I had taken a couple of shots so that I could explain to the camera store salesman what I was looking for.
Attached Thumbnails
Rig So Far...-wp_20150417_14_38_05_pro.jpg   Rig So Far...-wp_20150417_14_38_44_pro.jpg  

Old April 18th, 2015, 08:30 PM   #6
Major Player

It's a Switronix XP-L90A in the AB mount on an Anton Bauer QRPDHDV with a custom bracket to mount it onto the rod block. The bracket wraps around the right side of the battery to mount the audio receiver also.

Compact was the goal, at these Conventions we rove through the mobs of attendees all day so we want to be as mobile as possible. I see a lot of Canon C300s there, but always mounted on a monopod or tripod.
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta