Just Finished First Wedding With FS100's - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old September 27th, 2015, 06:49 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Just Finished First Wedding With FS100's

Well the digital zoom is a good feature to have, but the picture mode on the EA50 is not what you are going to want to use in a real scenario. At his point I would say the one thing I miss is the digital zoom. But, what I gain is a larger sensor that captures better footage in my opinion. If you are torn between the two, why not go to the Cam shop and try them out.

The EA50 is great for run and gun. In order to run and gun with the FS100 you will need a rig. I constructed a rig that works well for me, but to be truthful I do not use it much at all. I mostly use a tripod with wheels to roll around to get shots that I need. There are instances where the rig comes in handy but for me those times are far few and between.

I'm sure there will be those that speak highly of the EA50 and those the will speak highly of the FS100. For me after making the switch I was extremely happy with my decision. Weigh out you usage and see which one fits your style and requirements.

My main reason for switching was the sensor:
EA50 - 23-1/2mm Sensor
FS100 - 35mm Sensor

That was the deciding factor for me.
Aaron Jones Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2015, 02:03 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
what I gain is a larger sensor that captures better footage in my opinion
The size of the sensor doesn't necessarily mean better image quality, from what I understand the difference is that the fs100 sensor was developed for video while the ea50 sensor has a sensor designed for photo and adapted for video.

The 5D mark 2 for instance has a full frame sensor but if you compare it's video IQ to lets say a NX1 there would not be much competition, sensor size can play a role but there is a lot more to it then size only. (that's what she said)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2015, 05:09 AM   #18
Inner Circle

If you are still leaning towards the EA-50 form factor, just bear in mind that the EA-50M according to Sony has a dedicated sensor for video. I have a buddy with an FS100 and put a faster lens on your EA-50 and shoot with either and you won't tell the difference. Also bear in mind that the FS100 is almost/already a discontinued model too. I still think that Panasonic push out a much better IQ too ...Look at Noa's stuff with his GH4 !! At the moment if you want shoulder mount then the newer EA-50M I would say is a better bet
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2015, 05:13 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Are there any videos out there that show a improved IQ on the updated ea50 compared to the old model?
Old September 28th, 2015, 05:55 PM   #20
Inner Circle

I really cannot remember Noa but there is a thread on the EA-50 forum with a lot of info from Steve Digges but whether he posted samples or not I have no idea?
Old September 29th, 2015, 05:20 PM   #21
Major Player

I don't think form factor was his issue. He was looking at the Digital Zoom and the Picture Mode of the EA50. He says he is a mostly tripod shooter and was tossing too and fro between the two cams.
Aaron Jones Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2015, 07:48 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Jones Sr. View Post
My main reason for switching was the sensor:
EA50 - 23-1/2mm Sensor
FS100 - 35mm Sensor

That was the deciding factor for me.
the sensor in the EA50 is 23.5 x 15.6 mm (APS-C)
the sensor in the FS100 is 23.6 x 13.3 mm (Super35mm)

So you can see there is very little difference between the two formats.

What is different is
the EA50 sensor is 16.7 MPixels.
the FS100 sensor is 3.53 MPixels.

So the FS100 was the A7S of its time - trading off megapixels to get larger more light sensitive pixels for stunning low light performance.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2015, 10:21 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
If you are still leaning towards the EA-50 form factor, just bear in mind that the EA-50M according to Sony has a dedicated sensor for video. I have a buddy with an FS100 and put a faster lens on your EA-50 and shoot with either and you won't tell the difference. Also bear in mind that the FS100 is almost/already a discontinued model too. I still think that Panasonic push out a much better IQ too ...Look at Noa's stuff with his GH4 !! At the moment if you want shoulder mount then the newer EA-50M I would say is a better bet
Maybe I'm going for the M version. I will ask Steve for some samples between the 2.
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2015, 07:03 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Hi Tom

I very much doubt whether you would jump in the air with joy over the differences, the lens maybe but the 1 stop extra in the right conditions will not be that great a difference visually for a lot of extra money!!

Maybe look at something else, especially now that 4K is becoming very useful too!!
Old October 1st, 2015, 12:14 PM   #25
Major Player

you are right Chris. I'm going to keep the ea50(eh/uh) I'm not going for a used FS100. I found the nex-ea50 is a good low light performer. I like the shouldermount, lcd placement, digital zoom, zoom rocker an still pictures.

The FS100 has the lcd on a bad/wrong position for shouldermount. Even with a extra shoulderpad.it's not gonna work like the ea50.
I'm gonna miss that zoom rocker also.

I will wait for A7s in a shouldermount body. Something like that.
Old October 1st, 2015, 12:30 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
I will wait for A7s in a shouldermount body. Something like that.
That's not going to happen, the a7s is a photocamera, but Sony does already have camera's that would fit your needs: the fs5 and fs7
Old October 1st, 2015, 01:48 PM   #27
Major Player

Noa,

the ea50 was also based on a photo sensor. the FS100 was only video. FS7 is out of my budget and is not realy a shouldercam to me. The FS5 is so small. I wll see what the future brings.
Old October 1st, 2015, 03:14 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Is there a reason why you want to upgrade your ea50? Do you want better imagequality or just a shouldermount camera?
Old October 2nd, 2015, 11:15 AM   #29
Major Player

Noa,

I was confused with the cheap second hand FS100. I thought the nex-ea50 was not good anymore...

In fact shouldermount with changable lenses is easy. I still prefer this option. The quality is still good. When you will do a A/B compare the nex-ea50 is not on top anymore. MAny camcorders now will beat the nex-ea50 in quality I think.
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta