DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/)
-   -   Just got my FS700! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/509079-just-got-my-fs700.html)

Julie Hill July 6th, 2012 03:44 PM

Just got my FS700!

Hi all! I've been playing all morning with the cam. Seems pretty awesome! I shoot mainly weddings and since 2010 have been all DSLR (and still will be - I bought this just for the slow-mo). Before that, we used EX1's and it's interesting to see how similar the controls are! It's all coming back to me :) I have a couple questions if any of you know...

1) I bought an adaptor so I can use my canon L series lenses (although I do have the kit lens as well). Now that I'm used to doing everything in manual, I'd like it to stay that way but I can't figure out how to control the aperture manually when the canon lenses are mounted. I get an error message when I try to adjust using the knob.

2) Any great sites for picture profiles? Especially something like Technicolor's "cinestyle" preset that we use on our 5D's?

Michael Stewart July 6th, 2012 04:27 PM

Re: Just got my FS700!

Hi Julie, I believe you will have to look at an adapters like these

Sony NEX System : Canon EF Lens to Sony NEX Smart Adapter

or

MTF Services Ltd Canon EF To Sony E Mount Adapter MTCANEFSEM B&H

I remember you from my wedding videography days, loved your work:)

Mike

Julie Hill July 6th, 2012 06:06 PM

Hi Michael! Thx for your help! I actually have the adaptor noted in your 2nd link. Def. not happy with it though. It acts as an extender as well!

Michael Bradshaw July 6th, 2012 06:23 PM

Hi Julie, I've noticed that someone on bhphotovideo has also said that this adaptor acts as an extender. I just want to clarify that neither it or the metabones act as an extender.

The factor introducing the 1.5 crop factor is that the fs100 sensor is super35, not full frame.

No matter how you mount them full frames lenses will have a 1.5 crop factor on the fs100.

To remove the crop factor you have to use efs lenses or other lenses for aps-c size sensors. (the fs100 isn't aps-c, but close enough that most lenses of that type will be fine.)

Michael.

Julie Hill July 6th, 2012 06:27 PM

Ahhhh... ok that makes sense! thx!

Todd Sheridan July 7th, 2012 07:15 AM

I've been using the Metabones adapter with my Canon L Series lenses and it seems to work well so far. I am able to control the aperture via the camera without any issue. The only thing that doesn't seem to work is autofocus, but it isn't a big deal to me and I haven't tried playing with it very much yet.

Bruce S. Yarock July 8th, 2012 09:54 PM

I've been using the Metbones on my FS100 and it works fine. It does not support auto focus, and Metabones states this cleary in their literature.
Wish it did....
Bruce Yarock
Yarock Productions

Noah Yuan-Vogel July 10th, 2012 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Bradshaw (Post 1741989)
Hi Julie, I've noticed that someone on bhphotovideo has also said that this adaptor acts as an extender. I just want to clarify that neither it or the metabones act as an extender.

The factor introducing the 1.5 crop factor is that the fs100 sensor is super35, not full frame.

No matter how you mount them full frames lenses will have a 1.5 crop factor on the fs100.

To remove the crop factor you have to use efs lenses or other lenses for aps-c size sensors. (the fs100 isn't aps-c, but close enough that most lenses of that type will be fine.)

Michael.

Using lenses with a smaller image circle does not change crop factor. The crop factor refers to the way the fov of a particular focal length appears for a particular sensor compared to the fov of the same focal length on a FF35 sensor camera. No lens will change that relationship.

Michael Bradshaw July 10th, 2012 09:40 AM

removing this because it is misleading apparently. I'll not bother trying in future.

Noah Yuan-Vogel July 10th, 2012 11:30 AM

Not sure exactly what you mean but what you wrote then and just now seems it could easily be interpreted as saying that the "crop factor", and therefore field of view, when using a particular focal length EF-S lens would be different from a Full Frame 35mm lens with the same focal length, which is definitely not true. I certainly do not mean to offend you or imply that what you said was wrong, just that it seems unclear and could certainly be interpreted in a way that would misinform readers.

I have just seen lots of people get tripped up or misinformed by incomplete or unclear explanations or understandings of "crop factor" and want to be sure that this thread does not further misinform some who may misinterpret your statement. Personally I never talk about crop factor since too many people have practical misunderstandings of its meaning, but it can be a useful tool when comparing field of view of any camera to a 5DMK2 or 5DMK3, not much else though.

Michael Bradshaw July 10th, 2012 01:00 PM

ok, I'll remove my comments then.

John Mitchell July 10th, 2012 11:22 PM

Just to put it in plain English - all Noah's saying is that 50mm lens built for an APS size sensor is exactly the same as a 50mm lens for a FF sensor on an APS-C or Super35mm body - both are approximately 75mm equivalent on a FF sensor. The only difference - the APS-C sized lens won't cast an image circle large enough for a FF sensor and will vignette...this 1.5 or 1.6 crop factor holds true for any focal length so plan your lens choices accordingly.

HOWEVER back to Michael's point - the proliferation of APS-C sized cameras from Nikon and Canon has meant there are a bunch of newer lenses on the wide side designed to get around the cropping problem. You can now get relatively cheap lenses as wide as 11mm (rectilinear) to overcome that cropping factor (which is where it hurts you the most). The Tokina and Nikon 11-16mm lenses are excellent examples of this. They are still around 17mm-24mm FF sensor equivalent but that is still nice and wide.