DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/)
-   -   Metabones Canon Iris Fs-700 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/509157-metabones-canon-iris-fs-700-a.html)

Kieran Steele July 9th, 2012 09:50 PM

Metabones Canon Iris Fs-700

Anyone been playing with a production Fs-700 with the latest metabones canon adapter (v5 firmware).

I mainly have Nikon glass, so pulled out some older canon lenses to try.

I've tried it with an EF 50mm 1.8 II, EFS 18-55mm and a 28-135mm IS lens.

The only one I can get it talking Iris to is the 18-55mm. There is only one button on the unit which is for wide aperture for focus I'm pretty sure.

Is there a forum for support for the adapter or something?

Maybe I am asking too much. The fact it actually talks to all those lenses on the Fs700 is maybe a step forward with the latest firmware, but its pretty useless for lenses with no manual iris rings.

Did anyone have any issues with the pre-prod model? I recall Phillip Bloom saying he had some issues he thought a firmware might take care of, but I am pretty sure that was pre v5 as the metabones sites says "yay - v5 is compatible with fs700". Very recent I think.

Since it has to go back overseas for firmware updates (and its at the latest), I am really hoping I am just doing something wrong?

I might try borrow some more canon glass to test with. Any good general ones most people have it's known to work with?

Rob Lind July 10th, 2012 01:51 AM

Re: Metabones Canon Iris Fs-700

I have both version 4 metabones, and a version 6.
Both works with
17-55 f/2.8 IS
24-105 f/4 IS
only version 6 works with
70-200 f/2.8 IS II (on version 4 I can't control iris)

Sometimes it seems it doesn't snapp on, I can't control it after change of lens. Then I just remove it and put it back on and it usually works. When I have it mounted and working it have never lost contact and stopped working.

The version 4 I have has been on a friends NEX5 still camera. He had all kinds of problems when rotating the lens within the play/gap that exist due to "not perfect mechanical build". We even arranged for a second metabones and a second sony still camera and it always came back to the same metabones adaptor. However, that very same adaptor works with FS700 and FS100 with no problems, even if we twist and turn within that play/gap.... strange indeed.

/Rob

Kieran Steele July 10th, 2012 06:27 AM

Hmm. Maybe I'll just try and remove and add them a few times.

Nothing to do with the order. Cam power on or off. Adapter on glass first then on camera together after power on etc?

Todd Sheridan July 10th, 2012 11:43 AM

I've had no problem using any of my Canon lenses with the Metabones adapter.

This includes my: 50mm 1.2L, 16-35mm 2.8L, 24-70mm 2.8L, and 70-200mm 2.8L (version 1).

Autofocus doesn't work, but I am able to control aperture via the camera.

I got my adapter a couple months ago. I'm actually not sure what version of the firmware I have, but I'm guessing its 5.

Bo-Ming Tong July 12th, 2012 10:40 PM

Hi Rob,

Firmware version 6 adds distance display.

Anyway I doubt if the firmware version has anything to do with the issues your friend's NEX5 is experiencing but it is more likely a hardware fitment issue. I would suggest you to talk to Metabones and arrange for your older adapter to be repaired. Even though you noticed camera body variations (it worked on your FS100 and FS700 but not on your friend's NEX5) I think it is reasonable to expect the adapter to work across all NEX camera bodies which are demonstrably in good tune.

Kieran Steele July 24th, 2012 09:57 PM

I borrowed some lenses to test.

It worked on a 90mm macro lens, and a 24-70mm.

Didn't work on a Canon MP-E 65mm Macro Lens (5:1) extreme macro lens. So could not control the iris :( Damn, was looking forward to some blinking insect eyes in slomo !

I retried it with my lenses, and still the same. Doesn't work with an EF 50mm 1.8 II, and a 28-135mm IS lens.
Both of which are on the compatibility list.

Still works on the 18-55mm

Is there some dumb cheap adaptor I can get that does allow iris control of any canon lens, but doesn't do much else? I'd be happy to use the extreme macro lens on manual everything if I can control the iris manually (like I do with the nikon nik/nex adaptor).

Galen Rath July 30th, 2012 11:13 PM

Tried the FS-700 with the metabones adapter on a Sigma 30mm 1.4 Canon lens, and was surprised to see that auto-iris works, although there is an audible click when the iris changes.