Is this the new servo lens for FS700? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old December 1st, 2012, 02:13 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Re: Is this the new servo lens for FS700?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan A. Diaz View Post
Yes, I'm fully aware that the NEX6 has a built in auto-correct for both distortion, and vignetting. However, my post was already quite long, and I strongly doubt that anyone here actually cares about that, which was why I didn't mention it.

What I was most curious about was whether the FS700 would recognize the lens as part of the E-mount family (it did), and whether the FS700 zoom rocker had any effect (it didn't).

But since you bring it up, the SELP1650 vignettes horribly on the FS700 at "16mm"... but it's "16mm" is actually noticeably wider than the SEL16F28's 16mm (the E-mount 16mm f2.8), so one must presume that the SELP1650 is actually more like 14mm or 14.5mm at it's widest, and the NEX6 makes it a "16mm" lens via an electronic crop to control the vignetting.

As I clearly stated... not a lens you'd want to use on the FS700, just a fun experiment.
Dude, relax. I tried it on the FS700 too, for the same reason, and got the same results. "Also" = in addition to what you stated, not "but you're forgetting this."

I happen to think the 16-50, if not for the distortion (and vignetting), would've been useful for some handheld shooting. So light, and stabilized, and a good range, and with mechanically zoom hopefully eventually. The only other stabilized lens that goes this wide is the Canon 15-85mm via Metabones, but that's way heavier.
Al Yeung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 12:40 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Re: Is this the new servo lens for FS700?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Yeung View Post
I happen to think the 16-50, if not for the distortion (and vignetting), would've been useful for some handheld shooting. So light, and stabilized, and a good range, and with mechanically zoom hopefully eventually. The only other stabilized lens that goes this wide is the Canon 15-85mm via Metabones, but that's way heavier.
LOL - I am relaxed - we are always relaxed here in the tropics... unless we're not!

So you don't consider the Sony E-mount 10-18mm f4.0 OSS (SEL1018) a contender in the wide category???

Mine is on the way, but importation & customs takes quite some time here (because those guys are quite relaxed too).

Personally, I think it is one of the most interesting wide angle lenses released for any format or mount in quite some time. This one seems to have everything going for it. All that remains to be seen is whether it operates in Steadyshot Standard or Active mode. Sony specs say Active, however, since they lied about the SELP1650, I tend to be suspicious until it is sitting on the front of my FS700. Either way, it will be fine, but Active is so much nicer hand held...
Juan A. Diaz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta