FS700 Problem Erasing SDHC Cards at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old September 28th, 2012, 11:55 PM   #1
Tourist

FS700 Problem Erasing SDHC Cards

I am having a problem deleting files from my SDHC cards using the FS700. When I erase using the "Media Format" function it says it deletes the files and they no longer show in either the record side or the playback side. The cards also go back to full capacity, indicating they've been erased. But when I use FCP Log and Transfer or ClipWrap to transcode the AVCHD files they re-appear, sort of like ghosts and they can be transcoded again. I just finished a job where I have to send the raw files to the client on a hard drive, but files from a previous shoot also are also there, along with the new -- a big problem.

The solution I've come up with is to manually drag the files from the cards to the trash using my MAC, but this is an extra step I shouldn't have to take. Anyone else experience this and if so, what solution have you come up with.

Thanks -- Ashley James
Ashley James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2012, 11:47 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: FS700 Problem Erasing SDHC Cards

I haven't heard of this happening. What version of FCP and Mac OS are you running?
Will Salley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2012, 02:01 AM   #3
Tourist

Using FCP 7.03 with Snow Leopard
Ashley James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Same FCP version as mine. Have you renamed the card on the Mac?
Maybe the write-protect tab on the card is half-engaged? Just throwing out possibilities.
Will Salley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2012, 11:31 AM   #5
Major Player

Sounds like a file system issue, did you format in a computer? Might be bad sectors or some other write problem in the file table or something. I'd recommend formatting in a computer, and if that doesnt work then doing a single-pass secure erase which should fix bad sectors if there are any I think.
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 04:40 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Have you tried the official formatter from the SD card association?

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/

Available for Windows & Mac, supports quick format & secure erase of cards (SE takes a while).

Probably your best overall bet for formatting SD cards, as it is written by the folks who write the specifications for the cards. It's fixed up a few oddly formatted cards for me over the years.

For the record, I've had no issues with SD cards & the FS700, but I just drag the "Private" folder to the hard drive & do an in-place import to Premiere Pro. I do not let any editing program directly work with a media card... ever!!!
Juan A. Diaz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta