Miller or Sachtler? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old November 30th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #1
New Boot

Miller or Sachtler?

What would you recommend for 10 lbs camera including all acc.?
Sachtler System FSB 6 MD, Miller 1643 DS20 Solo DV System or Miller 1640 DS10 Solo DV System could be enough?
I like Millerīs Minimum Height cca 8" (20 cm), but...
Petr Volgemut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 03:25 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Miller or Sachtler?

Or... both.

I have a Sachtler DV8 head on Miller Solo legs (didn't like the Sachtler legs).

Big tip: don't get the two stage legs as they won't fit into a 'standard' suitcase - the three-stage legs, minus head, do fit.

The DV8 is probably overkill - DV4 or DV6 is fine. But the flexibility of the Miller legs and the ubiquitous and controllable quality of the Sachtler head (which can cope with a wide range of cameras, but doesn't like very light weight ones) has been great over the last (gosh) 6 years.
Old December 1st, 2012, 04:49 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I can't speak to the relative merits of the Miller Solo DV versus Sachtler but I have the Sachtler 75/2D ENG legs and they collapse to 25.6 inches. The Solo DV only go to 27.3. That makes a difference when trying to get them into a suitcase. The Sachtler are 2:1:1 with a mid level spreader and the Solo are 1:1:1 with no spreader.

If compactness is a factor, I haven't found bowl based legs that are more compact than those Sachtlers with a Manfrotto 702DV head for a lockdown travel rig.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 01:30 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Because the Miller can actually remove the legs without tools, the whole thing can actually fit in a carryon if you want to. The fact that it can go in operation from ~6-8" (as a highhat) to over 8 feet makes it the most versatile set of legs on the market.
Robert Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2012, 10:35 PM   #5
Major Player

Miller solo carbon fiber legs are really fantastic ... I've used them with a number of heads .. good value.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta