DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/)
-   -   Marching Band video with FS700 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/512588-marching-band-video-fs700.html)

Alan Brazzell December 6th, 2012 09:36 PM

Marching Band video with FS700

I used an FS700 to shoot the Auburn University Marching Band this fall. Because I'm an alum of the program and do video work for them as a way to give back, I feel much more free to experiment and learn on the job than I would with my major clients.

So, I took this season as a chance to shoot a lot with the FS700 to really get comfortable with it, and I thought I'd share with you all the edit I put together one day last week. Not everything is perfect, but I'm pretty happy with the overall functionality/look of this camera. My previous A-camera was a EX1R, so the FS700 is a new beast when it comes to filming in a run-and-gun shooting situation. I still have my EX1R for more ENG-esque shoots, but am quite addicted to the look of the FS700 now.

(and of course, the slowmo features were calling my name while filming, so I made use of them here and there... I don't see how you can resist trying it out when first learning this camera, haha)

Will Salley December 6th, 2012 11:52 PM

Re: Marching Band video with FS700

Well done Alan. The timing of the edit is spot on.

Better luck to the team next year.

Christopher Young December 7th, 2012 07:43 AM

Indeed Alan, well shot and tight on the money edit.

Chris Young
Sydney

Mark Bolding December 7th, 2012 05:19 PM

Looks great Alan. I liked all the camera movement and would like to hear more about your rig. I too have just added a 700 to go with my EX1R and will be doing my first two jobs with it this weekend. Thanks for posting.

mb

Alan Melville December 9th, 2012 07:28 AM

Alan, I enjoyed that, well done.

Al

Chris Barcellos December 9th, 2012 01:29 PM

Very nice stuff Alan. Love the whole feel of the film.

Mike Burgess December 9th, 2012 02:09 PM

Very nice job with the video. Brings back a lot of memories for me (I used to design and teach half time marching band shows).

Mike

Alan Brazzell December 11th, 2012 12:37 PM

Thanks everyone for the kind words - I'm glad to hear that others enjoyed what I was able to put together.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Bolding (Post 1766948)
I liked all the camera movement and would like to hear more about your rig.

Mark, I use a Glidecam X-10 vest/arm along with the HD-4000 sled. The FS700 works quite nicely on it and, for once, the placement of the back LCD screen is very nice for use on this rig (especially over the EX1R). One thing I found is that the FS700 is lighter than the EX1R w/wide angle adapter that I used to use, so it took some time to get used to a slightly less stable rig. I might look at adding some extra weight to the top of the sled to add back some of the stability.

I also made use of the Low Mode system Glidecam has available in this video - gives a unique and interesting perspective of marching band action. For this, however, I had to mount my SmallHD DP4 to the rig to be able to monitor the shots as the rig blocked access to the FS700 screen.