DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/)
-   -   External recorder for the fs700 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/512822-external-recorder-fs700.html)

Sergiu Macarescu December 19th, 2012 10:23 AM

External recorder for the fs700

Hello,

I just bought an fs700. The internal codec holds surprisingly well when grading, but from the start I was planning to buy the Blackmagic huperdeck. Does anyone use an external recorder? And can you please give me some examples?

I've compared the fs700 with the 5D mark III all-i and the fs700 won hands down.

Cees van Kempen December 19th, 2012 12:12 PM

Re: External recorder for the fs700

Sergio, I use the Convergent Design nanoflash.

Please be aware that you can't use the super slow motion option of the FS700 with an external devices if it can not handle 1080p at 50/60 fps. I use the nanoflash for 'normal' shooting, but not for super slow motion.

Sergiu Macarescu December 20th, 2012 01:51 AM

Thanks for your quick reply. Can you notice a significant difference in quality between the internal codec and the nanoflash? Could you please upload two examples of the footage?

Thanks in advance.

Cees van Kempen December 20th, 2012 02:43 AM

Dear Sergiu,

Sorry, but I see no chance to select and upload two examples, too much pressure on time. I do not see any difference between with or without external device. Maybe after serious grading, but haven't done that yet. And maybe when you have a complex shot with a lot of movement and details like a fountain, leaves in the wind etc. The only reason for me to use the nanoflash is that I want my footage to be accepted for broadcast, but honestly, in daily practice I don't see the difference.

Had a meeting with a prestigious international production company last week to screen my material for a broadcast production. We had a close look at some super slomotion shots of the FS700, because these were not shot with the nano, but in camera. The footage seemed perfectly well usable for the production. It would not be accepted for the full production, but I wonder who would really see the difference for most of the shooting.

Will Salley December 20th, 2012 02:25 PM

I use the Ki Pro Mini at the moment. The images using ProResHQ and the internal AVCHD are very close until you start processing the footage, or have a great deal of contrast in the image. I have yet to "break" the internal codec by means of too much motion causing artifacts, and with what I do, that might never happen. As mentioned, the 422 color space is required for many broadcasters, but the truth is, you could acquire in 4:2:0 and master out to 4:2:2 and most could never tell the difference.

Here's my rig

http://www.dingodigital.net/FS700-CO.jpg

Sergiu Macarescu December 21st, 2012 02:23 AM

Thanks for your replies. Nice rig. May I ask you why you chose a more expensive recorder?

Olof Ekbergh December 21st, 2012 08:04 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I really like the NanoFlash, it is light and very dependable.

I would say most of the time it is not necessary but with keying or extensive grading it makes a difference to have the 422 color info.

Here is a photo of my 700 rig. The IDX battery suppies the power for the Camera NanoFlash and light, it can also power the EVF , this is very convenient.

With my handle relocator it makes a great shoulder rig. Rails can be added as well.

Sergiu Macarescu December 21st, 2012 08:44 AM

A friend is giving me a nanoflash for the weekend. I'll try doing some tests and maybe post them online.

Will Salley December 21st, 2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sergiu Macarescu (Post 1768980)
Thanks for your replies. Nice rig. May I ask you why you chose a more expensive recorder?

I chose the Ki Pro Mini because of the ProRes capability. Almost all my edits are done in ProRes so it made sense. There are other, less expensive recorders out now that will record ProRes, but at the time, the Ki Pro was the only one shipping. It will also be an easy transition to the Ki Pro Quad should that recorder be capable of recording 4k from the FS700.