Remote Iris control on a jib? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old January 4th, 2013, 01:36 PM   #1
New Boot

Remote Iris control on a jib?

Has anyone managed to figure out a solution for remotely
controlling the iris electronically on a jib? I'm trying to use Canon lenses with the Metabones adapter.
Thanks for any help.
Paul Helling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 04:35 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Remote Iris control on a jib?

Well, Im gonna post here as well since Ill be having this issue as well here shortly... FS700 + Canon glass on my KC12/8.

As of now I deal with canon lenses on canon body so you can use a USB follow focus to some degree of accuracy, but Im curious if other people have a solution as well. I shoot stationary stuff so can usually set it and forget it (I <3 Shooting footage @ f/2 and lower on a crane, gives a very surreal look to it).

Are you looking for autofocus functionality or a follow focus style range of focus?
Old January 4th, 2013, 05:21 PM   #3
New Boot

We will use a preston kit for focus and zoom control and only concerned about iris and start stop.
LANC would be your best bet.

Sony Product Detail Page RM1000BP

Pan Bar Remote For LANC MVR901EPLA - Camera | Manfrotto

Sony verified that the remote commander on top will work but its just over $1000. Samy's Camera is testing the Manfrotto devise and I should know if that works soon. Its $280 I'm told.
Paul Helling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 08:22 PM   #4
Major Player

If money is no object...

Spotted this C300 at the mall with a Chrosziel Aladin MKII 3-Axis Wireless Lens Control System.
Attached Thumbnails
Remote Iris control on a jib?-decked-out-c300.jpg  
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 11:25 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I have the Manfrotto LANC remote listed above and I use it to start and stop record only, however, I don't have any lenses that will communicate electronically with the FS700. The remote does control iris, zoom, record and focus on the other LANC enabled Sony cameras I've used it with.

If the lens you intend to use will work with the iris control on the side of the camera, it should work with this remote.

TIP: If you do decide to get the Manfrotto remote, finding the start/stop button by feel is not easy. The buttons don't protrude above the surface and are rather close together. The zoom rocker is much better than the Sony supplied control. My solution was to use a small drop of glue from a hot glue gun on the top of the start/stop button. It makes it easy to feel when shooting and I dn't have to look down to make sure I'm hitting the correct button.
Will Salley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta