DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/)
-   -   What would you like to see included on the future firmware update? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/514022-what-would-you-like-see-included-future-firmware-update.html)

Kajito Nagib February 3rd, 2013 02:26 PM

What would you like to see included on the future firmware update?

Here are a few simple things I'd like to see.

1.Rename files and picture profile.
2.Use expanded focus and peaking at the same time
3.Display a waveform (not sure if this could be done via a firmware update)
4.Fix shutter angle function

How about you?

Will Salley February 3rd, 2013 10:09 PM

Re: What would you like to see included on the future firmware update?

It would be nice to have more menu items assignable to buttons such as RECORD and MEDIA FORMAT.

Tim Dashwood February 4th, 2013 12:47 AM

- 22fps and 20fps for S & Q mode. (I slightly undercrank a lot for action scenes.)

- Shutter Angle display to stay consistent when shooting 120+ fps, not a 'compensated' readout based on the record fps rate.

- Correctly label 2.35:1 as 2.39:1 or 2.40:1 (a pet peeve of mine)

- 4x3 windowed sensor area for 2X anamorphic use, recorded as 1440x1080 or higher

- Allow user to create real names for Camera & Picture Profile settings for easier recall

- Option for S-Log output on 3G HD-SDI while recording Picture Profile to AVC internally

- Simultaneous record to SD and FMU128 for S & Q

- Record trigger signal on HD-SDI so my Samurai will automatically roll when the camera does

- 4K compatibility with third-party recorders like AJA KiPro quad

- H.265/HEVC 4K internal recording to FMU128

Sergiu Macarescu February 4th, 2013 02:20 AM

I'd like some crop modes for super slow motion. So instead of line skipping you would get a 1:1 image depending on your framerate. I am sure that even 960 fps would be usable.

The ability to output the slow-mo buffer in 25 fps (not 60) so you could use a cheap external recorder instead of an expensive 3g-SDI one.

10-bit SDI ;)

Greg Waite February 4th, 2013 02:40 AM

"Record trigger signal on HD-SDI so my Samurai will automatically roll when the camera does"

tim, this is doable, we use the samurai often when we are shooting, mainly as a backup or when we need to do alot of vfx or grading..

greg

Kajito Nagib February 4th, 2013 02:33 PM

when is the next firmware update scheduled will it be free?

Mark Bolding February 4th, 2013 03:59 PM

My two biggest wishes have to do with the hdmi output. I use my PIX 240 quite a bit with the FS 700 via the hdsdi out and if I am also using the Alphatron evf I can't even tell if I'm recording much less have any useful info displayed there.

#1. Give HDMI and HDSDI outputs separate options to have lcd info included or not.

#2, Enable expanded focus to at least hdmi outputs if not all outputs. If Canon can do it I've got to believe Sony could find a way.

Al Yeung February 4th, 2013 09:56 PM

I just want them to come up with an optional grip that has an iris dial, push-auto focus button, and a sensibly-placed (not the ridiculous pinky button) push-auto iris button.

Tim Dashwood February 5th, 2013 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Waite (Post 1777051)
"Record trigger signal on HD-SDI so my Samurai will automatically roll when the camera does"

tim, this is doable, we use the samurai often when we are shooting, mainly as a backup or when we need to do alot of vfx or grading..

greg

It is probably operator error on my part then, but I would love to know the secret to making the feature actually work properly. The only ways I could figure it would work is by using the LANC cable from the handle and passing it through to another cable back to the camera, or with the REC RUN trigger mode on the Samurai. Unfortunately TC trigger mode also starts recording when you play back clips from the camera's SD card.

I know the Samurai supports camera trigger via SDI, but I don't see anything in the FS700 documentation that says it supports it the SDI trigger flag.

Eric Darling February 6th, 2013 01:22 PM

Tim: Just make sure you have the menu options set up as such on the Samurai. HD-SDI - Sony. It works on our FS700 just fine.

I'm with Mark Bolding on his two suggestions! The lumping together of the SDI and HDMI video display overlay is silly, and something that firmware could certainly address. I roll to the Samurai often along with using a Small HD DP4 EVF connected via HDMI. I'd like to have the overlay on the monitor, but of course, that's ruining my external recorder signal if I do that!

The expanded focus working on the HDMI output would also be nice, but certainly not nearly as important as the ability to select video overlay on the two ports independently.

Renaming of picture profiles would be nice. So would the ability to record 50i and 60i movies on the same memory card. I mean, they're just digital files, right?

Chris Medico February 6th, 2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Bolding (Post 1777199)

#1. Give HDMI and HDSDI outputs separate options to have lcd info included or not.

Not possible. There is only one hardware video encoder in the box.

If you want that feature you have to step up to the F3. It has 2 video encoders and has the ability to have a clean output on one output and an overlay on another.

Eric Darling February 6th, 2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

If you want that feature you have to step up to the F3. It has 2 video encoders and has the ability to have a clean output on one output and an overlay on another.
In my experience, the F3 suffers from the same issue. How do you go about setting the F3 to do that, Chris?

Chris Medico February 6th, 2013 02:02 PM

You use SDI-A for your clean signal and you use either Monitor SDI or HDMI for your overlay outputs.

Eric Darling February 6th, 2013 02:08 PM

But, we've had problems with SDI-A not outputting the proper signal for the Samurai in certain modes, and we've had to rely on the SDI port of the F3. Not to take this too far afield, as this is an FS-700 section... The video overlay on the external ports is a kludge, and Sony really phoned that in. It works well on the onboard monitor, so why didn't they provide the same functionality on the outputs (ie. three toggled stages of information, and selectable independent of the other monitoring options).

Chris Medico February 6th, 2013 02:10 PM

Drop me a note off the forum and I'll be glad to see if there is anything I can figure out to help.

Back to our regularly scheduled program... :)