DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/)
-   -   fs700 and long lenses (400 2.8) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/515105-fs700-long-lenses-400-2-8-a.html)

Ray Lee March 18th, 2013 12:13 AM

fs700 and long lenses (400 2.8)

Looking to rent (prior to purchase) the Sony fs700 but wanted to know how I would mount it to a large heavy lenses.... When using the 400 and 600 with my stills camera they are supported by the lens and the camera body hangs from the mount, would the fs700 be to large and need a rig to support its weight?

Thank you

Chris Medico March 18th, 2013 08:03 AM

Re: fs700 and long lenses (400 2.8)

No you can't do that. You will need to use a rail setup to hang a heavy lens on the FS-700 (or any other camera).

The rails will bolt onto the bottom of the camera body and extend forward under the lens. You would then use the appropriate lens support to attach to the rails.

Olof Ekbergh March 18th, 2013 08:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Yes it is a very good idea to support your long lens on the 700, especially if you are using a Metabones adapter or similar adapter.

This can be done with a 15mm rail system or a custom system.

If you use hard mounting ring on your matte box then you are supporting your lens if not then a separate lens support is the way to go.

I make both custom very compact solutions for this and also standard 15mm rail lens supports. I also make a Metabones support as part of my FS700 kit.

Kent Beeson March 18th, 2013 10:31 AM

Hi Olof

I just got the FS700 and want to rent Canon 70-200mm II lens using Meatbones adapter - a link to what you make to support these on the 700?

Also when I email you, I never hear back - what email is best?

Olof Ekbergh March 18th, 2013 12:00 PM

Hi Kent, here is a link to FS700 my kit:
Sony FS700

Bets email:
info@westsideav.com or olof@westsideav.com

I wonder if you get caught in a spam filter. I get lots of emails, you can also call me 603.383.9283.

Addition, Sharyn just got your email she is replying right now.

Ray Lee March 18th, 2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Medico (Post 1784976)
No you can't do that. You will need to use a rail setup to hang a heavy lens on the FS-700 (or any other camera).

The rails will bolt onto the bottom of the camera body and extend forward under the lens. You would then use the appropriate lens support to attach to the rails.

thank you, just to be clear I was asking about hanging the fs700 from the lens not the other way around.

Ray Lee March 18th, 2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh (Post 1784977)
Yes it is a very good idea to support your long lens on the 700, especially if you are using a Metabones adapter or similar adapter.

This can be done with a 15mm rail system or a custom system.

If you use hard mounting ring on your matte box then you are supporting your lens if not then a separate lens support is the way to go.

I make both custom very compact solutions for this and also standard 15mm rail lens supports. I also make a Metabones support as part of my FS700 kit.

The lens would be mounted on a tripod via the lens collar, what I would need is something to support the fs700 (I assume the camera body is too long and heavy to hang from the mount/adaptor like we do with our DSLRs) I am having trouble visualizing how the rigs you posted would function long tele set ups

thank you all for the help

Dave Sperling March 18th, 2013 01:00 PM

Ray,
My personal feeling is that it wouldn't be a good idea to think of supporting the camera body from the lens mount (which seems to be what you're talking about.) Think of a rod support system as a unit that supports BOTH the camera and the lens simultaneously, and in doing so basically keeps them locked in place relative to each other.
I've never shot with a 400/2.8, but having used a 300/2.8 numerous times (and knowing that the 400/2.8 must be even bigger and heavier) I'd say get the beefiest support system you can, potentially 15mm stainless steel or even 19mm rods, and use a 150mm class tripod setup.

Chris Medico March 18th, 2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Lee (Post 1785032)
thank you, just to be clear I was asking about hanging the fs700 from the lens not the other way around.

Yes I understand you wish to support the camera by its lens mount and no you can't do that. You should not support the camera body by the lens mount. The body weights about 3.5lbs without the battery.

You will need to use a mounting system that will support both the camera and the lens and manages the load on the lens mount.

Chris Medico March 18th, 2013 01:14 PM

As a comparison my Canon 7d weighs less than 2lbs with a battery and card installed. With my 400mm lens the camera hangs off the back of that lens. The 7d body is compact and so the amount of leverage it can exert over the mount is modest.

The FS-700 has a relatively long body. With a battery it will weigh at least 4.5lbs. Combining its size and its length you are asking to trouble to support the camera body by the lens mount alone.

When you rationalize it against the possibility of damaging more than $10k worth of gear in my mind its a simple choice to spend $100-$150 for a lens support.

Will Salley March 18th, 2013 01:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You would also need a means of balancing the entire rig, front to back, on the tripod head. The only way to do that effectively is to use a rail system.

Here's a shot of my rig. I have 6" extensions for the rails that can accept very long lenses.

Ray Lee March 18th, 2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Medico (Post 1785040)
As a comparison my Canon 7d weighs less than 2lbs with a battery and card installed. With my 400mm lens the camera hangs off the back of that lens. The 7d body is compact and so the amount of leverage it can exert over the mount is modest.

The FS-700 has a relatively long body. With a battery it will weigh at least 4.5lbs. Combining its size and its length you are asking to trouble to support the camera body by the lens mount alone.

When you rationalize it against the possibility of damaging more than $10k worth of gear in my mind its a simple choice to spend $100-$150 for a lens support.

It was indeed the length (leverage) of the fs700 that scared me.... I have hung d3's and 4's with remotes and WiFi transmitters from the teles but figured I would need something for the longer Sony.

thank you

Ray Lee March 18th, 2013 02:15 PM

Thank you all very much, this thread along with the photos has helped a great deal, and not just with the super tele issue. Olof's rigs look like they will be great for some of the more normal mounting options I will need and are priced much better than I had originally feared (some rigs cost more than the 400 2.8!!!)

This is what I ordered.

ReallyRightStuff

http://thesbimage.com/2013/KennanWardPkg-in-use.png

Olof Ekbergh March 22nd, 2013 10:31 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Lee (Post 1785034)
The lens would be mounted on a tripod via the lens collar, what I would need is something to support the fs700 (I assume the camera body is too long and heavy to hang from the mount/adaptor like we do with our DSLRs) I am having trouble visualizing how the rigs you posted would function long tele set ups

thank you all for the help

Here are photos of my rig. It is the standard 700 kit with the 15mm rail adapter, but instead of rails there is a simple adjustable angle plate that supports the lens.

If you actually use the 15mm rails there is a support for lenses that is part of my 15mm system and others as well. Or you can have the matte box support the end of the lens.

In these photos you can also see my Metabones support just in front of the camera. I make a variation of this for A lenses adapter as well.

I have also made special custom rigs for shooters that want to be able to adjust the head so it sits right in the CG on very large lenses. These are custom rigs based on my UniCamRail system. I will see if I have a photo of one of those somewhere as well.

Bob Prichard March 30th, 2013 09:56 PM

I purchased Olof's rig for my FS700 and it works like a charm. I wanted something compact that could stay on the camera and the rig and camera could be easily inserted into a backpack for hiking. Olof made a number of shims for my long lenses and a shim for a metabones adapter. Everything locks down tight to one long plate which is lightweight but rigid. On the bottom of the rig I have a quick release plate that attaches to a ball head on my Gitzo. It's the perfect set up for landscape videos--lightweight but rigid.