DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/)
-   -   Remote control of FS700 for slo-mo work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/515597-remote-control-fs700-slo-mo-work.html)

Stuart Brontman April 4th, 2013 04:18 PM

Remote control of FS700 for slo-mo work

I'll likely be renting 1-2 FS700 cameras for an upcoming shoot where I need to capture some 120 or 240fps shots (knowing the length of recording limitations at slo-mo). I need to be able to run the cameras remotely from a "control center" as we're filming fire tests. I'll need about 75-100 feet or so length of remote control functions.

Is this possible with the FS700? Computer control would be great, but in my research I've not found any reference to controlling the FS700 in this manner. From what I've tread, once the camera is setup for slo-mo capture all I need to do is press the record button to capture 8 or 16 seconds of footage (pre or post trigger).

Thanks for any advice on this.

Tim Dashwood April 4th, 2013 04:30 PM

Re: Remote control of FS700 for slo-mo work

Varizoom makes various lengths of remote extension cables. 100' is less than $50.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/282119-REG/VariZoom_VZ_EXT_L100_VZEXTL100_100_LANC_Extension.html
Just plug into the FS700 control handle at one end and camera on the other.

Stuart Brontman April 4th, 2013 04:36 PM

So basically use Lanc control as the trigger? That's simple enough. I'll be running other cameras via computer (including high speed stills - Canon 1Dx), so only needing to worry about pushing the control button should be straightforward.

Zexun Tan April 7th, 2013 08:15 AM

I don't really have experience with this, but perhaps one suggestion if you're running the camera off of batteries is to make sure it's on start-trigger if not the continuous writing to buffer will drain the batteries and overheat the camera very quickly.

Also - I don't think you can adjust the slow-mo settings remotely. Which means if it's gonna restart or shut down due to low power or overheating, you'll need to physically go to the camera to restart it into slow motion mode.

Hope it helps!

Morton Molyneux April 8th, 2013 12:41 PM

" if you're running the camera off of batteries is to make sure it's on start-trigger if not the continuous writing to buffer will drain the batteries and overheat the camera very quickly."

Have you experienced overheating?

I have run my FS700 in hot blazing sun, in slow motion, writing to the buffer for 3 to 4 hours and never had any overheating problems or excessive battery drain.
cheers

Paul Helling April 9th, 2013 12:27 AM

This is the first I've heard about overheating or abnormal batt drain while shooting slowmo. Nothing like that has happened to me after shooting a ridiculous amount of slowmo over the past 9 months. If that is happening to you with your FS id have it checked out.

Zexun Tan April 9th, 2013 07:33 PM

Mine drains a little faster because it's constantly writing to the pre-rec buffer, which actually makes a lot of sense? Never thought it was just me...

Juan A. Diaz April 11th, 2013 01:11 PM

Never experienced overheating, but I agree that Super Slow Motion in general, and end trigger specifically sucks down the battery noticeably faster.

If you decide to use start trigger, be sure to take into account the approximately 1.5 to 2 second delay in starting. Start trigger is always up to 2.2 seconds slow to start, so you can easily lose footage if you don't hit the REC button in advance of the anticipated start of the action you want to record.

Also be sure to use the fastest UHS1 cards you can get your hands on... Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s SDHC have the least start delay of anything I've tested.

Cees van Kempen April 11th, 2013 02:31 PM

Back to the main question. Indeed you can set the camera to slomo and all you have to do is start/stop. The handgrip that comes with the camera is basically a lanc remote trigger. Supposed to be screwed on the camera, but I use it as a remote trigger. I have bought an extension cable of 33 feet, but I suppose there will be longer cables as well. Or you can connect several cables to get the desired length.

Juan A. Diaz April 12th, 2013 07:05 AM

Also, if you want to keep the stock Sony hand grip on the camera, plugged in and active, and also have a remote LANC switch too, this little splitter - combiner device from Manfrotto is quite handy:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/381896-REG/Manfrotto_521SB_521SB_Remote_Control_Splitter.html

Manfrotto 521SB - can be easily velcro-ed somewhere on the FS700. It's about the size of a short, slightly fat lighter. Works great with the stock grip and a remote LANC trigger, and then either device can then be used to start & stop the camera.

Tim Dashwood April 13th, 2013 11:59 PM

What about a LANC splitter that can control two cameras with one start/stop remote? I'd be interested in that for my 3D high speed work but I haven't found one yet.

Juan A. Diaz April 15th, 2013 10:34 AM

I can confirm that the Manfrotto 521SB does NOT work when used "backwards" ie one remote to 2 cameras. One camera does start (intermittently), but the other stays in standby & LED on the remote flickers. Definitely not designed to work that way.

A quick search turned up a previous discussion on this in the 3D forum:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stere...lers-best.html

Bad news is there are not many, and they are not cheap. Never tried any of them, so I can't comment.

Also, on the LANC shepherd site, the link to purchase no longer works... but it seems you can contact the designer via roundabout method on a different page here, towards the bottom there is a link to email him:
Ledametrix Digital Stereo Photography

Might be worth emailing the guys at PocketWizard about whether their remote camera triggers support LANC video cameras, or only shutter release on still cameras. The website is inconclusive. These things are great for still cameras.

Stuart Brontman May 5th, 2013 05:29 PM

One last clarification on the FS700 and remote control... Will a "standard" Lanc controller (2.5mm) work as an external remote? Or, is it just as easy to use the included on-camera control and remove it, placing a 50-100' lanc extension cable on it? I'm renting this camera, so I need to make sure the included controller can be easily removed and put back on.

Thanks.

Stuart Brontman May 5th, 2013 09:22 PM

I think I figured it out, but just to be certain, the removable hand grip is what would attach to the lanc cable? If so, I assume it's the standard "old style" lanc vs. the newer type found on the EX-1/3 etc...

Thanks.

Kieran Steele May 6th, 2013 03:42 AM

Give it July plus ?? Time and you can record what was it?
2k continuous slomo on your odyssey 7q until your raid 960gb ssds run out? 45m think it was :)