High FPS flicker removal ideas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old April 30th, 2013, 08:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

High FPS flicker removal ideas

So I shot this video with the FS700:

A single fluorescent light way up in the roof on this porch practically ruined my entire slo-mo shoot.

But lately I've been doing HDR work with the Canon Magic Lantern software, and using (of all things) FCP X with this plugin: Free Final Cut Pro plug-in: Alex4D Magic Lantern HDR effect | Alex4D: Editing organazized to blend the frames.

So I had this idea in the shower. And I put my poor messed up FS700 footage into FCPX, dropped the plugin on it, set the mode to "Frame -" and got this:

I gotta say, I'm pretty happy with the results!
Matt Cikovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 10:17 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: High FPS flicker removal ideas

This does look great as a real fix - so do you have to have Magic Lantern installed, which one? Or just the Alex4D Magic Lantern HDR effect?

What were the steps you used to fix?
Kent Beeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 11:19 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I used Magic lantern on my Canon 60D for HDR work unrelated to this shoot and the FS700. I merely realized the same technique to get HDR shots to work could be adapted to fix footage shot on the FS700 under fluorescent lighting.

Step by step:

-Capture footage,
-Load up FCPX,
-Drop footage onto new sequence. Make sure that the sequence frame rate and the footage's frame rate and resolutions all match,
-Drop the Alex4D plugin onto my footage,
-In the plugin's parameters under "Effects" I make sure the "Project Frame Rate" was set to the footage and composition frame rate. In this case 24P.
-Now (still under the Effects parameters) you can do one of two things. Set the "Background" option from 'black' to 'white'
or
-Set the "View" option to "- Frames Source" they both seem to do the same thing. More experimentation is really needed with all of this.
-Check that your footage works and looks like it's supposed to, render it out of FCPX, and finally cut your project in a real editor. (That's not FCPX.)
Old April 30th, 2013, 11:23 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Matt

So you don't need anything but the Alex 4d plug in and FCPX? Don't need the Canon Magic Lantern software?
Kent Beeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 11:44 AM   #5
Inner Circle

The BCC Flicker Fixer plugin is well suited for that kind of flicker as well.
Old April 30th, 2013, 12:18 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Beeson View Post
Thanks Matt

So you don't need anything but the Alex 4d plug in and FCPX? Don't need the Canon Magic Lantern software?
Correct. I just noticed that the type of footage that HDR on Magic Lantern and "bad" high FPS footage from the FS700 looked similar with an exposure change alternating every frame.
Old June 12th, 2013, 12:04 PM   #7
New Boot

I like your fix but the footage looks rather jittery in my opinion, I guess there has to be a trade off. My fix was to use CC Time Blend in Adobe After Effects. I can upload the video once the client has signed off if anyone is keen.

Last edited by Yash Bagwandeen; June 12th, 2013 at 12:53 PM.
Yash Bagwandeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 10:36 AM   #8
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yash Bagwandeen View Post
My fix was to use CC Time Blend in Adobe After Effects. I can upload the video once the client has signed off if anyone is keen.
I'm interested in seeing a before and after of that.
James Barbosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 05:10 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Here is what the BCC plugin fix looks like. I started with the "FAST FLICKER" preset and changed the method to "TEMPORAL YCC" since only highlights in the frame were flickering.

The source was the 1080p Youtube video so it isn't as crisp as it would be if I were staring with the camera footage.

Old July 2nd, 2013, 01:35 AM   #10
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Barbosa View Post
I'm interested in seeing a before and after of that.
There is no before, but here is the finished video. Almost all shots flickered as if it were a Canon Magic Lanter HDR shot, basically like each frame was an entire stop lower/higher.

Yash Bagwandeen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta