Metabones Speedbooster short circuit damage? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old July 26th, 2013, 11:53 PM   #1
Major Player

Metabones Speedbooster short circuit damage?

About a month ago I purchased a Speedbooster adapter for my Sony FS700, it worked fine until today. The camera iris has stopped working with two of my lenses the Canon 24m and the 100m but works fine with the Zeiss ZF 50m. I wasn't sure if the camera or the adapter was damaged so I swap out the speedbooster for the smart adapter and everything worked fine. With the speedbooster when I turn open or close the iris wheel on my FS700 the image doesn’t get brighter or darker it remains the same. BTW the camera iris is on manual not auto. Everything worked fine until I placed a Zeiss 50mm F1.4 with a brand new Cinevate Canon EOS to Nikon Adapter Ring. After I remove the Zeiss lens I put on a Canon 100mm and noticed the image was darker and the iris wouldn't open or close although I can see the the F stops moving up or down its just the image does not get brighter or darker. Any idea what’s going on? I checked the Metabones website and it says “some improperly made M42 screw mount adapters can may short circuit The electronics contacts of the speed booster and cause damage to the speed booster and/or camera.” Also the iris wheel on the FS700 feels a lot smoother with less tension I'm wondering if I damaged the camera as well although it works with fine with my Zeiss ZF. The firmware of my speedbooster is version 23.
Old July 30th, 2013, 07:12 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Metabones Speedbooster short circuit damage?

Hi! I have similar problems with original metabones adapter. I'n my understanding it ruined my tamron 17-50 iris already twice.( lens was repaired) Also it wont work anymore with Sigma 50 mm lens and Tokina 11-16.
But strangely adapter works with Canon 24-105 and 70-200. Btw it all happaned after factory servicing of this adapter.But for now its again in factory service and anyway i'm afraid to use it with expencive lenses. Also i provided to metabones my ruined lens to check out what may be the problem. I can let You know how it goes.
Regards

Raul
Raul Rooma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2013, 11:03 AM   #3
Major Player

Paul please do. BTW did they give you a RMA# before sending in the adapter?
Old August 13th, 2013, 02:14 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi ! Sorry for long delay...as far as i know metabones recived my stuff and working with it. I sended in with my own risk and cost. They promised to change adapter inside parts, but they also said that adapter is in working order. Also they they promised to repair my broken lens wich one i sended to them examine.Hopefully everything gonna be alright, but still i'm confused about what happened to adapter and lens.
If i'm reciving stuff back i'll let You know!

Regards
Raul
Raul Rooma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 04:17 PM   #5
Major Player

ok thanks.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta