Tips on using FS700 footage in FCPX at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old November 6th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #1
Sponsor: Westside AV

Tips on using FS700 footage in FCPX

Use Compressor to convert the RAW DNG or DPX picture sequences to ProResHQ or what ever.

This makes it easy to deal with in FCPX or other Mac Apps.

It takes a while but results are good.

I will be shooting tests of 2K and HD from the FS700 and O7Q and I will post results here.

The monitor and with scopes and focus aids are better than anything on camera I have seen.

I am now working out my workflow for using the RAW footage from the FS700. It does take a bit of setting up in the 700 and the O7Q.

Dan Keaton and Mitch are working on a settings guide. I have seen the first draft and it is good, it will probably be published tomorrow.

Here is the relative size:
Attached Thumbnails
Tips on using FS700 footage in FCPX-screen-shot-2013-11-06-8.42.04-pm.png  

Last edited by Olof Ekbergh; November 6th, 2013 at 08:19 PM.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2013, 01:57 PM   #2
Sponsor: Westside AV

Re: Tips on using FS700 footage in FCPX

I have a good workflow in Resolve now for the DNG files from the O7Q.

Plug the SSD into your computer and it auto mounts.

Go to Resolve I use latest V10. Import the DNG folders as clips.

Then I have a LUT I built to "normalize" the image and I also have one that makes the DNGs look like they do on the Odyssey. They come in very dark looking.

Just right click and choose 3D LUT from the menu and load my LUT. Voila you have a balanced image. I will be refining my LUTs but this is a start. Then just render out to ProResHQ or whatever to your RAID. Now you are ready to edit in FCPX or whatever. Your choice if you keep a copy of the DNG's or not.

If anyone wants the LUTs I will share them PM me.

The images below shows the scene I shot and how I hooked the 7Q up to my eval monitor so I can AB that and the Resolve image. The scene is only lit by the natural light coming in from the large north window in my studio.

It also shows my sturdy bracket for the Odyssey. The bracket uses the same system as my EVF bracket and is very versatile it can be mounted in front, middle of the camera right left high or low or on the External cheese plate on my shoulder kit in many different locations, more on this soon. I do have them in stock at my webstore.
Attached Thumbnails
Tips on using FS700 footage in FCPX-o7qtests1.jpg   Tips on using FS700 footage in FCPX-o7qtests2.jpg  

Tips on using FS700 footage in FCPX-o7qtests3.jpg   Tips on using FS700 footage in FCPX-o7qtests4.jpg  

Tips on using FS700 footage in FCPX-slog2inres.jpg   Tips on using FS700 footage in FCPX-oloflutfs700slog.jpg  

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta