Slog2 and Recording Internally vs External Recorder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old November 14th, 2013, 12:18 AM   #1
Major Player

Slog2 and Recording Internally vs External Recorder

Wondering if I'm shooting Slog2 I can record to the internal Codex (1080p 24fps FX setting) or if I'm shooting my foot in the grade because I need to push it so much vs. other cine gamma modes?

External Recorders which Record DNxHD or higher (Raw?) I'm assuming give me a lot more grading latitude.

Thanks
Old November 14th, 2013, 07:22 AM   #2
Sponsor: Westside AV

Re: Slog2 and Recording Internally vs External Recorder

I see a big difference especially if you want to push the grade.

Here is a video, you can download a higher res version, but they are still compressed.

and here is another view of them after John Schultz edited my footage together nicely.

Old November 18th, 2013, 04:56 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: Slog2 and Recording Internally vs External Recorder

Everyone is focussing on dynamic range and forgetting that if you shoot SLog2 with 8 bit's it's only 16 grey shades per stop which makes subtle textures like skin tones less realistic. Cinegammas give skin tones and mid range between 35 and 40% more grey shades than SLog2, so they look much better. In addition SLOG2 need mid grey to be at 32%, white at 59% and skin tones at 45-50% to keep everything out of the very highly compressed upper curve. That means some big grading pushes in post (which also needs to be log based). Cinegammas work so much better when exposed correctly, even Cinegammas should be about 1 stop under conventional exposure ( skin tones 55-65%) to keep things in the best part of the curve. But as you have more shades and need to push them less the mid range ends up looking much better.

The only way to get more grading latitude is to use a linear raw recorder and at the moment there are only two options the Odyssey 7Q and Sony IFR5/R5. Any other external recorder with the FS700 is limited by the cameras 8 bit output, so although you can have fewer compression artefacts (which is a good thing and will improve how much you can grade) your still going to be restricted to 8 bit recording.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta