DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/)
-   -   Question about S-Log2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/520083-question-about-s-log2.html)

Kajito Nagib November 16th, 2013 11:40 PM

Question about S-Log2

I don't plan on working on any 4k projects any time soon so I was just wondering if it's possible to just get the S-Log2 without the full upgrade if so would I need to send it in for service or can it be down loaded via firmware?

Chris Medico November 17th, 2013 07:20 AM

Re: Question about S-Log2

S-Log2 isn't available separately.

Kajito Nagib November 17th, 2013 06:27 PM

thanks Chris.

Alister Chapman November 18th, 2013 04:44 AM

S-Log2 is included in the 4K update as a means to monitor the cameras full dynamic range. If your going to use S-Log2 correctly 8 bits is nowhere near enough. Middle grey should be 32%, white 59%, this put faces etc at around 45-50% and then the levels are restored using a log compatible grading tool. Each stop of exposure is recorded using only approx 16 grey shades. Over expose SLog2 and your going to be putting faces into the very highly compressed part of the curve and they won't look as good as they would with a less aggressive gamma curve.

Use a Cinegamma and the exposure range is split into two halves, a largely linear lower range and a compressed upper range. Exposed correctly and faces etc will be in the lower range where each stop has roughly 22 grey shades per stop, a 35% increase in data over S-Log2. Mid grey for the Cinegammas is around 40% and white around 80% so skin tones should be exposed around 60%, a little lower than standard gammas, but not so far away so only minor adjustment in post. The overall result is much better skin tones and mid range with Cinegammas compared to S-Log2 with 8 bit recording. In addition with Cinegammas normal edit suite color correction tools work well. SLog2 need proper log grading tools.

SLog is not a magic bullet, instant fix for better pictures. It's designed to be used in conjunction with 10 bit recording, specific exposure levels and a post production workflow that can make log based corrections. If it's not used as designed it does not work well and image quality will suffer. If you want to record a bigger dynamic range then you need to have a bigger bucket to put all that data in, otherwise it overflows and a lot of the extra information is lost. The FS700 was never designed to internally record 14 stops of DR. The internal 8 bit processing, encoding and output is just not up to the job. That's why the external raw options are 12 bit and even this is a bit of a compromise for linear raw. The SLog2 is there purely for monitoring as a means to see the full dynamic range of the camera.

Kajito Nagib November 19th, 2013 01:55 AM

Alister thanks for your clear and helpful explanation.

Mansoor Ahmed November 19th, 2013 03:32 PM

This is an amazing expiation, now i see no NEED to upgrade to S-Log until and unless I have need of an external recorder, most places clients have budget shorts, and they dont care highlights or dynamic range..

Thank you Alister for this explanation, see you on Friday in Dubai, Insha-Allah( God willing ).

Alister Chapman November 20th, 2013 07:29 AM

See you Thursday in Dubai. I'll have a Convergent Design 7Q to play with too!

Mansoor Ahmed November 20th, 2013 08:46 AM

Do I need to bring my camera? its Friday You must be leaving now i believe

take care

Alister Chapman November 20th, 2013 10:29 AM

We will have cameras, but if you have an FS700 you want to bring feel free. Yes, off to the airport in about an hour.