DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/)
-   -   Which model? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/521101-model.html)

Jens Korsgaard January 16th, 2014 03:42 AM

Which model?

Hey!

Me and my good friend have recently started a small company, where we, amongst other things, want to shoot and produce commercials, adds, etc. We both have quite a bit of experience regarding producing, however not so much as to actually opperating a camera. That said, we're quite eager to learn, and have done a bunch of research, and decided that the Sony FS700 is the perfect choice, as it is somewhat affordable, and covers most of what we want to do. Plus it obviously can be upgraded at a later date to 4k, if we're going to need that. Cool!

I pretty much had my mind set on the 700UK model, as I found one rather cheap. Then, I stumpled upon a bunch of other models, all of which seemed to do roughly the same, only not really. For instance, the 700RH is 6-700$ more, but features a new lense. It also says that the RH version is 4K ready. What does this exactly mean? I thought the 700UK was that as well with an external recorder? Also, is the lense any better aside from the fact that the zooming issue was fixed? (at least thats what I think has been fixed :) )

I suppose my actual question is whether the RH version is worth the extra price compared to the UK one.

Looking forward to spending a lot of time on the forum, and thanks much in advance for the answers! :)

Kind Regards,

Jens Korsgaard

Noah Yuan-Vogel January 16th, 2014 08:51 AM

Re: Which model?

UK is just the original FS700 with 18-200 kit lens and without the 4K firmware update. For RH, R means it has the 4K firmware and H seems to be the new power zoom version of the kit lens with servo zooming.

In the US the firmware update turning a U into an R is $400 plus shipping.

Jens Korsgaard January 16th, 2014 09:29 AM

Alright! Its likely a bit more expensive in Denmark then due to all our lovely taxes put on all electronic devices. In any case, I think I'll just throw in the added price and go with the RH version and avoid the hassle of sending it back and forth. In any case I guess the servo zooming is a nifty feature regardless (I've always had it on the other cams I've been shooting with).

Do you, by chance, know if they've added anything mechanically to the new lense on the RH model aside from the servo obviously.

Dmitri Zigany January 20th, 2014 09:39 AM

I find the servo lens really handy when shooting live events. In darker venues it's a bit too slow though on the EA50. I ordered the FS700R, since I already have the power zoom. The FS700 is a fair bit more light sensitive than the EA50 too, so for those occasions I think it'll work fine.
The lens is a nice allrounder to have, picture is nice, auto focus and face recognition is fast but the f3.5-6.3 is what ruins it (same as old manual kit lens).

Jens Korsgaard January 20th, 2014 10:43 AM

Yeah, I think I've put my mind into picking up a couple of Samyang primes and a metabone adapter. I reckon the kit lense will be servicable for the limited run and gun I'll be doing, and the primes will be rolled out for more controlled setups, where I don't need any AF etc. Not sure which primes to pick up yet though as far as mm is concerned.

Dmitri Zigany January 20th, 2014 01:50 PM

I have the Samyang 35mm cine lens and thinking about getting the 16mm/T2.2 soon to get me something good at the wide side. I also have the Sony SEL 50mm/1.8 which is pretty decent.
As a one-man crew most of the time, it usually gets rather hectic and the stabilisation and auto focus of the native e-mount lenses are really handy.

Jens Korsgaard January 20th, 2014 02:50 PM

I've received an offer on 3 of the Samyang lenses, namely the 35mm T1.5, 14mm T3.1 and the 85mm T1.5. Thinking thats a pretty good place to start, until I can afford something better. I know this isn't the right place to ask, as lenses have their own subforum, but how will those lenses work with 4k shooting? I heard the Sony Kit lense is rather hopeless in that regard, though I cannot seem to find the source. I'm not even sure if there is any actual difference between shooting higher resolution, though I would presume so.