Odyssey 7Q FS700 firmware update for 02/2014 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old February 5th, 2014, 12:01 AM   #1
Wrangler

Odyssey 7Q FS700 firmware update for 02/2014

I'm repeating a post here from Mitch Gross of Convergent Design about the forthcoming firmware update.
The important info for FS700 users is that a RAW white balance bug has been corrected, a "popular" codec that records in "422HQ" will be added, and 4K RAW will be able to be debayered and recorded to this codec at 1080p 10-bit 4:2:2 (HQ). Details below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Gross
Below are the changes we are expecting to release in our February 2014 firmware update. Some features may be added or dropped as we approach release, but we have high confidence in this list. Also note that the Popular Compressed Codec is subject to manufacturer's certification.

Please note that this will be a free firmware update. Firmware updates require the use of a Convergent Design Odyssey SSD. All firmware within the Odyssey7Q will be updated, so the new C500 functions will be available to anyone who has already purchased the use of this option and will be available to test in demo mode (bar across recorded image) for all others.

New Features

- "Popular compressed codec" in 422HQ for HD (1920x1080) up to 30p.
This is for direct recording of HD signals. Converted RAW signals will come later (UPDATE: see FS700 notes below).

- Free File Combiner program on our website (for Mac & PC).
The "popular codec" is recorded in Fat32 structure so this simple program will combine lots of little files into one standard file. A simple and quick maintenance operation.

- Adobe compatibility for .DNG files.
Use Odyssey7Q-recorded Cinema DNG files in any Adobe software. This change will have minor alteration of Resolve settings, for which we will also publish new suggested presets.

- Mix file types on SSDs.
Record RAW or video, single SSD or spanned files, without needing to change drives.

- OLED zoom frame drag.
In Pixel Zoom mode, one can use the touchscreen to drag the zoomed window around the frame.

- Histogram reference lines.
Similar to the reference lines in the waveform display.

- 1.33 Frame Guide.
An additional frame guide option, noting 4x3 cutoff within the 16x9 image.

- Screen flip.
When the Odyssey7Q is turned upside down, the image will auto-flip for correct orientation. Can be turned off if desired.

- Audio meters & output level control.
Graphic audio level meters in Upper Tool Bar. Audio Out adjustable level control enabled.

- Clean SDI/HDMI output.
Option to remove image analysis tools from SDI & HDMI outputs.

Known Issues Repairs

- Fixed image tearing and dead lines.
In some shooting modes the display would show the image splitting horizontally during panning motion. Additionally a black line could appear across the frame approximately 1/3 from the top of frame or 1/3 from the bottom. These processing errors were only ever in the OLED display and have been corrected.

- Fixed FS700 RAW white balance.
White balance should now track correctly and accurately.

Canon C500 Recording Option Updates: New Formats Support

- QHD up to 60p

- 2K 12-bit 444 in .DPX up to 60p

- 1080p 12-bit 444 in .DPX up to 60p

- 1080p 10-bit 422 up to 120p

FS700 Recording Option Update:

- 4K RAW to High Quality HD, recorded in 10-bit 422HQ compressed codec

The Odyssey7Q will be able to accept the 4K RAW signal, deBayer it and super-sample it to 1920x1080 with our new advanced high quality algorithm. This algorithm improves both the deBayer as well as the super-sampling processes. The Odyssey7Q will then be able to record the HD signal in a popular compressed codec in 10-bit 4:2:2 at a high quality. At this time we can state that the Odyssey7Q will be able to do this at frame rates up to 30p, and it is expected to attain the camera's full 60p frame rate with further development. Additinal further development will allow HD capture in 12-bit 4:4:4.
Old February 15th, 2014, 10:03 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Odyssey 7Q FS700 firmware update for 02/2014

I'll believe it when I see it. CD's track record for updating the firmware for the 7Q is non existent. I'm rooting for them. I have money set aside for one. I hope the update comes out without introducing a bunch of other bugs.
Also, I never would have released the firmware in the state it is today.

Last edited by John Mastrogiacomo; February 16th, 2014 at 03:10 PM.
John Mastrogiacomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2014, 01:31 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: Odyssey 7Q FS700 firmware update for 02/2014

We just got a shipment of 7Q's in.....also, we have the 512SSDs, Sony & Canon plates, cables and screen protectors........
Convergent Design Odyssey7Q Monitor Filmtools
or give me a ring at 818-845-8066

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com
Jim Martin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta