DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/)
-   -   No RAW timelapse output? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/522479-no-raw-timelapse-output.html)

T.G. Lawrence March 30th, 2014 07:58 PM

No RAW timelapse output?

1 Attachment(s)
I've recently picked up the Odyssey 7Q and was keen to test out the time-lapse recording in 4K, 2K and 4K. To my surprise it appears that the v 3.0 firmware doesn't allow RAW output in interval recording. Am I missing something or has Sony neglected this feature entirely?

Dave Allen March 30th, 2014 11:43 PM

Re: No RAW timelapse output?

Wow, what an over sight! I'll have to ask Sony about this at NAB.

Olof Ekbergh March 31st, 2014 10:31 AM

I have found a DSLR and an intervalometer is the absolute best way to shoot TL. It is small cheap and the quality is fantastic. The batteries also last a long time, I get a full 10 hrs recording with my 5DmkII if set up right on one internal battery. I can even do HDR on each frame, truly amazing.

I have often just left them for a day kind of hidden while shooting other stuff at a location, w/o anyone needing to babysit. I would be reluctant to do this with $10K+ of equipment.

And the quality can be amazing 22 mpix RAW images. Really nice to zoom around on in post if you like.

Just a thought.

Alister Chapman March 31st, 2014 12:36 PM

The way to do it would be to have the FS700 output a continuous raw stream (as it does in normal shooting) and then have the ability to record just the frames you want on the 7Q.

The FS700 has never had an intervalometer or dedicated time-lapse function, only S&Q motion.

T.G. Lawrence March 31st, 2014 03:27 PM

The argument for DSLR is time-lapse is obvious. My question isn't, "what does the best time-lapse?" Having a second camera along for a just-in-case time-lapse isn't always an option on some of my shoots. To me this feature should have been included with the v 3.0 upgrade.

Thanks for your input Alister. Sounds like the FS 700 is capable of a "quick" frame rate in RAW but Sony hasn't allowed for it and have no intention to add it. Is that your sense?

Still seems odd to me that this feature would have been left out for R5 users as well.

Custom frame capture on the 7Q would be a good solution and an awesome feature. Convergent Design seem to be bearing the burden for a lot of camera system shortfalls. If I can ask for one shortfall to be made up it would be this.

Dan Keaton April 1st, 2014 11:52 AM

Dear Friends,

I can report that we have a Time-Lapse feature planned for the Odyssey7Q.

This, of course, will be a free firmware update.

Based on this tread we know that our users want this for 4K Raw as well as for other modes such as HD.

And I can confirm that we will implement support for Time-Lapse in 4K Raw and other modes.

Respectfully,

T.G. Lawrence April 1st, 2014 12:27 PM

Dan, that's such great news! I continue to be more and more pleased with my purchase. 7Q seems to be the best investment I've made. Future development and support of the product is unrivalled. Thanks to everyone on the CD team!

Dan Keaton April 1st, 2014 12:29 PM

Dear T.G,

Thank you very much!

We will be adding more and more capabilities to the Odyssey7Q.

Respectfully,

Dave Allen April 3rd, 2014 10:55 PM

Dan, you guys ROCK! I like how you future-proof our 7Q's for us owners.

Dan Keaton April 4th, 2014 11:24 AM

Dear Dave,

Thank you for your vote of confidence!

We have lots more planned for the Odyssey7Q, and many additional features currently in work.

Respectfully,