DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/)
-   -   NEW Firmware Update for FS700 users (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/525877-new-firmware-update-fs700-users.html)

James Manford November 26th, 2014 09:15 AM

NEW Firmware Update for FS700 users

Finally! The firmware update rectifying the following issues has finally been released.

1.Distortion correction of E-mount lenses supported (SELP18105G, SELP1650)
2.Iris ring operation supported (SELP28135G)
3.Direction change on zoom ring rotation (SELP28135G)
4.Operation stability improvement

For users who have the 4K upgraded version of the FS700 you can update to v3.10 and users of the regular FS700 can update to v2.10. Just follow this link and login or register:

https://www.sony.co.uk/pro/mysony/login/standard

Christopher Young November 28th, 2014 07:10 AM

Re: NEW Firmware Update for FS700 users

Great news James!

At long last. Am interested in trying out the new 28-135 with the 700. Tried out the 18-105 and found it to be a reasonable lens for the price but it was unusable because of the barrel distortion it displayed.

Thx for the info.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

James Manford November 28th, 2014 08:27 AM

That barrel distortion is now fixed with this firmware update! so you may want to consider the SEL18105G again.

Christopher Young November 29th, 2014 07:22 AM

Exactly what I was thinking James. A couple of colleagues have the 18-105s so I will beg a lens off one them and give it a go again.

ChrisYoung
CYV Productions
Sydney.

Christopher Young November 30th, 2014 08:35 AM

Installed firmware 3.10. Tried a colleagues 18-105 on the FS700 with the new firmware and all is sweet. You wouldn’t know it was the same lens that was totally useless on the 700 without the upgrade. I'm picking up a lens tomorrow as I have a number of scenarios where it would be of use for sure. I also like the fact that its parfocal and constant aperture. Thanks again for the heads up James. It made my day.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Dave Allen December 1st, 2014 11:49 PM

The R version firmware that added 4K capability was $400 USD and had to be done by Sony. What about this upgrade?

And if those lenses aren't used, should one even bother?

Christopher Young December 2nd, 2014 02:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dave ~

I did the upgrade myself. Very straight forward. If you have a 4K version FS700 you install v3.10 which I did. If you haven't upgraded your camera to v3.00, which is the Sony workshop 4K upgrade it says use v2.10. The PDF that came with the firmware download is attached.

The PDF explains the whole upgrade process and lists the lenses that now function correctly with the FS700. This includes the new SELP28135G F4.0 zoom lens that is being shown on the new FS7. This I am interested to try out which I will do when I can beg borrow or steal one for some testing.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

James Manford December 2nd, 2014 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Allen (Post 1869458)
The R version firmware that added 4K capability was $400 USD and had to be done by Sony. What about this upgrade?

And if those lenses aren't used, should one even bother?

Even if you don't intend to buy any of the lenses that this firmware update is primarily for you should still upgrade the firmware.

4. Operation stability improvement.

Not sure exactly what it is that they have fixed with that last point ... but it would be worthwhile upgrading. It's quick and easy to do.

Took me less than 10mins to do.

Gabe Strong December 9th, 2014 02:22 PM

Wow! The 18-105 is like a whole new lens on the FS700. Now it will only work in
HD and only up to 60fps, so not perfect. But for a low budget version of the Cabrio 19-90
when you have to run and gun, it's pretty nice. Good autofocus, image stabilization,
internal zoom, pretty light, works with the zoom rocker, nice range, and constant F4.
Images look pretty nice out of it too. And it costs $598! Good stuff.

David Elkins January 16th, 2015 01:30 PM

So, anybody done this update with the non-Sony USB cable?? I have no idea where the one that came with the camera has gone and since the geniuses at Sony decided to use a slightly different connector on the camera side I'm a bit up a creek. It looks as if a standard mini-USB will fit, but makes me nervous. Anyone braver than me done it?

Answered my own question, any old mini-USB will do. The update is easy-peasy.

David Elkins January 16th, 2015 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe Strong (Post 1870205)
The 18-105 is like a whole new lens on the FS700. Now it will only work in HD and only up to 60fps, so not perfect.

Gabe, can you clarify this statement? Are you saying this lens doesn't work at 240fps? Also not at 4K? How is that even an issue? Wouldn't these be independent systems?

Christopher Young January 16th, 2015 06:04 PM

To the best of my knowledge this is applicable to new S7 on internal 4K recording.

I know switching the FS700 to 4K Raw out with the 18-105 that there is NO return to the barrel distortion in the viewfinder / screen that I had prior to the new 3.10 firmware. I don't have an Odyssey Q here to try recording the output to check but I would imagine if it is correct in the viewfinder that it would also be correct on the output. How could lens correction only be applied to the viewfinder? It doesn't stand to reason. Admittedly stranger things have come to pass. Also having no 4K recorder here I can't check the veracity of the 240FPS remark either.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Gabe Strong January 20th, 2015 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Elkins (Post 1873776)
Gabe, can you clarify this statement? Are you saying this lens doesn't work at 240fps? Also not at 4K? How is that even an issue? Wouldn't these be independent systems?

Well, I was speaking from what I heard Sony say. The way I understood it was that
the extra pixels in the 4k chip in the FS700 was what allowed for the error correction
in HD. And it couldn't correct fast enough for 240fps. However, I tested the FS700 in
240fps and it works fine. Also in 480. I don't have the 4k update or 7q so can't comment
on that but now wonder if this applies to the FS7 instead of the FS700 as far as the
limitations on the lens.