Anyone using the new Canon 24-70 mm lens? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old October 11th, 2012, 07:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Anyone using the new Canon 24-70 mm lens?

I'm interested in this lens but a little hesitant since is doesn't have image stabilization. Wondering if anyone has experience with it or if the lack of I.S. would be a non issue on the FS 700 for handheld?
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Zoom Lens :: Canon EF Zoom Lenses :: Compact HD Lenses :: Lenses :: Lenses & Lens Accessories :: Equipment Sales :: AbelCine

Any input would be appreciated

mb
Mark Bolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 08:26 AM   #2
Sponsor: Westside AV

Re: Anyone using the new Canon 24-70 mm lens?

I use my V1 24-70 f2.8 L as my standard lens on the 700. I love it, it is very sharp and if I need IS I just use the kit lens for that focal length. It is the lens I use 80% of the time.

One thing I love on the v1 is that the lens is longest when wide and retracts when going long. This makes the lens shade very effective so you don't need a mattebox in most situations. V2 does not work this way. The V1 is almost 1K less new as well, and there are a few good used ones out there as well.

If I do use a mattebox I use nuns nickers on the lens and I find this works perfectly and allows me to use my graduated ND's or whatever on this lens.

Here are photos of my standard rigs using this lens.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone using the new Canon 24-70 mm lens?-24-70l.jpg   Anyone using the new Canon 24-70 mm lens?-24-70l1.jpg  

Anyone using the new Canon 24-70 mm lens?-24-70l2.jpg  
Old October 11th, 2012, 09:06 AM   #3
Major Player

I prefer the older Sigma 24-70 personally, it has a great look and costs 1/3 the price. Like Olof I use my 24-70 80% of the time.
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 01:51 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Sigma 24-70mm for me too. I found the Mk1 Canon produced some very bad CA compared to the Sigma.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta