What filters live on your lenses? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old October 18th, 2012, 07:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What filters live on your lenses?

I'm just getting started with my FS700 and have 2 zooms at this point. Wondering how much to spend on a protective U/V filter which can be as cheap as $10 for a Tiffen and also will be getting polarizers. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

mb
Mark Bolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 10:17 AM   #2
Sponsor: Westside AV

Re: What filters live on your lenses?

I would not put an uncoated cheap UV filter on a good lens. The Best are B&W (costs more than many lenses) but the better quality Tiffens and Canon filters are OK.

The anti reflective coatings keep light from bouncing around between elements like the front of the lens and the back of the UV filter and even inside the filter itself, this is important to get good contrast and color as well as less flare from your lens. More expensive filters are also much higher quality and flatter glass.

The other filters I find very useful are the circular polarizer and graduated ND filters (these are best used in matteboxes so they can be moved around but the fixed round ones will help a lot with bright sky.
Old October 18th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #3
Major Player

Everything Olof said. Cheap filters can also soften the image significantly.
p
Old October 18th, 2012, 12:39 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I have a couple B+Ws as well and agree that they're very nice. Recently though, I've been buying Hoya, (including for the 18-200 that came with my FS700) and been just as happy with those. This test convinced me to try them: lenstip.com/113.1-article-UV_filters_test.html
Vince Manganello is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta