Remote control of FS700 for slo-mo work - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old May 6th, 2013, 05:29 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Remote control of FS700 for slo-mo work

The plug on the FS700 is lanc-style -- not the EX1/3 lens controller style.
You should bring your extension cables when you go to do your camera checkout - just to make sure they work properly.

A couple of other thoughts --
You should definitely have a monitor to verify camera output. It will also help you determine when you can roll again if doing multiple shots during a single fire event.
Remember, when you trigger a slo-mo shot it sends its data to the buffer, then proceeds to write the data from the buffer to the SD card. THIS WRITING CAN TAKE A WHILE!!! It's not as though you can film a slo-mo clip at 240, wait a few seconds and then film another one. You will need to wait until the shot is written to card. This is where the monitor can come in handy, since you'll see the slo mo footage that is being written - so once the camera feed returns to regular speed you will be able to record again. Even a minute can be a long time to wait when there's a lot going on!
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 06:37 PM   #17
Contributor

Thanks Dave. Yes, I've got a monitor to use as well. There should be at least 10 minutes between tests so I think I'll be okay. I've been looking at some of the slo-mo footage from the FS700 and find it quite impressive for the purposes of this shoot. It may not be a Phantom, but it's more than usable for my client.
Stuart Brontman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2014, 09:37 PM   #18
Tourist

I just wanted to jump in here with a question about the LANC.? I've got a nice Lanc controller I use for my XhA1, and it works great, but I guess I'm concerned that I didn't see the lanc symbol in the specs of the FS700. I suppose that doesn't mean it won't control the 700, but I was just curious, and also wondered if the regular old lanc would work on the FS700 or does it require a newer lanc.?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan A. Diaz View Post
I can confirm that the Manfrotto 521SB does NOT work when used "backwards" ie one remote to 2 cameras. One camera does start (intermittently), but the other stays in standby & LED on the remote flickers. Definitely not designed to work that way.

A quick search turned up a previous discussion on this in the 3D forum:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stere...lers-best.html

Bad news is there are not many, and they are not cheap. Never tried any of them, so I can't comment.

Also, on the LANC shepherd site, the link to purchase no longer works... but it seems you can contact the designer via roundabout method on a different page here, towards the bottom there is a link to email him:
Ledametrix Digital Stereo Photography

Might be worth emailing the guys at PocketWizard about whether their remote camera triggers support LANC video cameras, or only shutter release on still cameras. The website is inconclusive. These things are great for still cameras.
Marc Trainor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2014, 08:12 AM   #19
Trustee

I've experienced a burning smell issues running slow motion for over 3-4 hours. But I think it was the battery and not the camcorder.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2014, 10:45 AM   #20
Trustee

Heard good reports on these. Used with an extension cable one of these might be ideal as they have a LED on them to indicate recording or not.

Pro-Lanc

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta