NEX-FS700 4K Acquisition at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old September 16th, 2014, 08:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

NEX-FS700 4K Acquisition

It is we'll know to everyone that NEX-FS700 has a great potential for the acquisition of 4K resolution.
Question: Does the flash memory unit HXR-FMU128 or memory stick have the ability to record 4K ? Or is it necessary to have either AXS-R5 or Odyssey7Q recorders in order to unlock the potential of 4K ?
Haitham Lawati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 08:06 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: NEX-FS700 4K Acquisition

4k is external recording only. Nothing inside the camera can record 4k.
Old September 16th, 2014, 08:07 AM   #3
Trustee

You will certainly need either one of the recorders.

The Odyssey 7Q or the new Atomos Shogun (in the near future) to film 4K.

You also need to make sure your FS700 has a firmware upgrade to be able to shoot 4K. The earlier models didn't have this upgrade.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 12:46 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Why do I need to use HXR-IFR5 Interface Unit if I want to record 4K on AXS-R5 4K/2K RAW Recorder, whereas for 4K record on Odyssey7Q no any interface has been mentioned ?
Old September 16th, 2014, 01:19 PM   #5
Inner Circle

You don't need the interface unit if you are using the 7q. You only need to make sure your FS700 is at firmware v3 or higher. The SDI out on the FS700 is all you need to feed the 7q.
Old September 16th, 2014, 01:33 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haitham Lawati View Post
Why do I need to use HXR-IFR5 Interface Unit if I want to record 4K on AXS-R5 4K/2K RAW Recorder, whereas for 4K record on Odyssey7Q no any interface has been mentioned ?
Ask Sony why you need it. It's silly really. The Odyssey screen can be used as an external monitor, where as the HXR-IFR5 (got to love the silly names) is just a big block of plastic that makes the camcorder even more awkward to handle.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 03:06 PM   #7
Regular Crew

The 4K output form the camera is compressed and the R5 records the Raw also compressed however the output from the camera is compressed in a different way to the output from the camera, so the interface unit takes the compressed output from the camera, uncompresses it then recompresses it (all in real time) for recording on the R5 in Sony's Raw system.

The Odyssey just takes the compressed output, uncompresses it and records it in a CDNG wrapper.

So the R5 rig gives you much smaller file sizes (about 2.5 times smaller I believe) and the post support is better for it as it uses Sony's raw system. While the Odyssey is smaller, lighter, cheaper and works as a nice monitor - but produces horrendous amounts of data.

At least, that's how I understand it...
Old September 17th, 2014, 12:18 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Well, It makes sense handling huge files on Odyssey7Q rather than spending $7500 for R5 recorder and its partner HXR-IFR5, baring in mind, also, the advantages of Odyssey7Q over its counterpart in terms of weight, bulkiness and provision of monitoring.
Old September 17th, 2014, 11:17 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

Yes, the Odyssey7Q with our FS700 Raw Option currently records the wonderful 4K, 12-Bit Raw, up to 60 fps to CinemaDNG continuously.

And our unit records 4K, 12-Bit at 120 fps, which is cached in the camera for 3.63 seconds, and the wonderful End Trigger can be used.

And we can record 2K, in 12-bit up to 240 fps.

All of the above are in Raw format, full uncompressed Raw, in 12-Bit, which allows one to extract very high quality images.

We have announced another major feature, where one will be able to record 4K Apple ProRes 422 HQ.

This is due out somewhere near the end of this month (September 2014).

This allows one to work in Video, instead of Raw, and these files are compressed, but are still high quality.
Apple ProRes 422 HQ is very popular and in widespread use, and is requested quite frequently by clients.

Our footage will be in the 4K version of this codec and will be easy to use.

Other important, new features for the Odyssey7Q will be announced in the future.

Our Odyssey7Q + FS700 Option will also work with the new Sony FS7 + Expansion Unit.

Respectfully,
Old September 17th, 2014, 01:41 PM   #10
Trustee

Dan this is an FS7 + expansion unit question but I know you're watching this thread so:

Will the the Odyssey record the output of the slog3 to 709LUT on the FS7 ( using that beautiful 12bit Raw to Pro Res (4K2HD) . I don't know if this would be cleanervor any different than the LUT coming directly from the FS7.

I'm curious because I was very impressed by how clean the 4K2HD files looked but personally wasn't as thrilled by the gammas coming from the FS700. As I recall it could record 709 as well as Slog though.

Lenny
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2014, 12:00 AM   #11
Regular Crew

How many stops are given for the dynamic range in this camera ?
Old September 18th, 2014, 07:38 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
Dan this is an FS7 + expansion unit question but I know you're watching this thread so:

Will the the Odyssey record the output of the slog3 to 709LUT on the FS7 ( using that beautiful 12bit Raw to Pro Res (4K2HD) . I don't know if this would be cleanervor any different than the LUT coming directly from the FS7.

I'm curious because I was very impressed by how clean the 4K2HD files looked but personally wasn't as thrilled by the gammas coming from the FS700. As I recall it could record 709 as well as Slog though.

Lenny
Dear Lenny,

Our current Odyssey7Q firmware is checking for the Picture Profile setting, gamma = S-Log 2.

In the FS7, one can't set, in at least one early prototype FS7: gamma = S Log 2, but can select S-Log 3.

We will make the necessary changes so that one can record from the FS7 + Expansion Pack.

(The Expansion Pack is needed as it has the HD-SDI port that outputs the Raw data from the camera.)

It is so nice to hear that you like our 4K to HD Apple ProRes 422 HQ mode.

We feel that this mode is very significant, due to the dramatic increase in quality, for HD that it provides for the Sony FS700.

We have had many, very positive comments about this mode, from very experience industry leaders.

We will enable this mode for the FS7 as well. We hope to have a FS7 in our lab as soon as possible.

Please note that in this mode, 4K Raw to HD Apple ProRes 422 HQ, one can also select gamma = Rec. 709 and Rec. 709 800%, so there is a way to test this mode with our current firmware, 2.11.110.

Our next firmware will have a 4K Raw to 4K Apple ProRes 422 HQ mode also,
supporting up to 4K (4096 x 2160) at 30 fps.

Respectfully,
Old September 18th, 2014, 07:40 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Dear Haitham,

I am sorry, but I do not know the Dynamic Range numbers for the FS7 yet.

Respectfully,
Old September 18th, 2014, 08:43 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
I am sorry, but I do not know the Dynamic Range numbers for the FS7 yet.
For the FS700 in your 4KtoHD mode, what would you estimate the dynamic range of the FS700?
Dmitri Zigany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2014, 08:56 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri Zigany View Post
For the FS700 in your 4KtoHD mode, what would you estimate the dynamic range of the FS700?
The FS700 is in the range of 13 stops.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta