How to use LANC and video out Z70/AX100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old October 27th, 2014, 08:03 AM   #1
Major Player

How to use LANC and video out Z70/AX100

Both of these use the USB port. Is there such a cable to allow both at the same time? I've already ordered the adapters to run LANC but didn't know video out uses usb also. My monitors are not hdmi.
Old October 27th, 2014, 04:53 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: How to use LANC and video out Z70/AX100

The Multi Connector has Lanc and video ouput functions. To get the video and Lanc connections from the Multi Connector, there are places that sell the proper cable for about $50. I have heard that it's possible to control two cameras from a single Lanc remote with a Y-cable made up with a 2.5mm female jack on one end and a 2.5mm male plug on each of the two branches.
AFAIK, the USB is for firmware updates and file-based operations.

http://www.studio1productions.com/lanc-sa.htm

Mark

Last edited by Mark Watson; October 27th, 2014 at 05:03 PM. Reason: link added
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2014, 06:01 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Mark, if I keep the camera I will be sending what I have coming from B&H back and getting one of those for LANC and video.
Old October 27th, 2014, 06:36 PM   #4
Major Player

Odd thing is, Sony comes up with these odd-ball camera connections and seems to change them rather frequently. It's almost like they have some revenue-generating scheme the way they go about it.

I can get very slow zooms (up to 21 seconds from wide to tele) when using my Canon remote with the AX100. Have to go through two different adapter cables but it's worth it. There was some discussion about it awhile back, might want to review some those earlier posts, such as the two below.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-pxw...ml#post1844794
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-pxw...ml#post1845702

I'd be curious to know if you get both cameras to respond to a single remote.

Mark

P.S. I just realized you probably are not trying to control two cameras at the same time, just want to do the video out thing and run a Lanc remote together. So in that case you won't be needing the Y-cable.
Old October 28th, 2014, 08:11 AM   #5
Major Player

Got this back from Sony support this morning, fast response.

Dear Mr. Akin:

The Multi/Micro USB Jack can either operate as a USB interface for the camera's memory cards, Composite Video/Audio outputs, or as a LANC control input. It cannot do multiple duty at the same time. If you want to use the RM-VPR1 LANC remote, you would have to use the HDMI or the SDI output for your video.

You can also use Wi-Fi for your remote control, and use the optional VMC-15MR2 cable to output your composite video/audio.

Regards,

Disappointing. It's gonna cost me even more to have this camera now, HDMI monitor at least $300!
Old October 28th, 2014, 08:49 AM   #6
Regular Crew

How about an HDMI to composite adapter?
Mike Buckhout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 09:11 AM   #7
Major Player

That might work. One thing the X70 does that I like is output peaking to the monitor via HDMI , not sure if it still would if an adapter is used but I would think it should.
Old October 29th, 2014, 06:21 AM   #8
Major Player

I ask the tech about those cables Mark and here's his reply:

"I am not aware of any cables that do what you described. If there is something out there, then it may work. It is not something Sony would recommend to do as the video signal may interfere with the LANC signal in the cable."

I replied "It must work on some Sony models"

His reply:

"Correct, it can work on Sony Consumer models that record AVCHD, no on Pro models that record XAVC or XDCAM."

That sounds weird to me, don't understand what AVCHD has to do with it.

Anyway, I got what I wanted, LANC and composite video by using the HDMI adapter that Mike suggested, thanks Mike.
Old October 29th, 2014, 06:58 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Akin View Post
Got this back from Sony support this morning, fast response.

Dear Mr. Akin:

The Multi/Micro USB Jack can either operate as a USB interface for the camera's memory cards, Composite Video/Audio outputs, or as a LANC control input. It cannot do multiple duty at the same time. If you want to use the RM-VPR1 LANC remote, you would have to use the HDMI or the SDI output for your video.

You can also use Wi-Fi for your remote control, and use the optional VMC-15MR2 cable to output your composite video/audio.

Regards,

Disappointing. It's gonna cost me even more to have this camera now, HDMI monitor at least $300!
It looks so much similar to the AX100, yet different in odd ways like the deletion of the USB connector that the AX100 has and combining it into the Multi Connector. Way too much going on with that Multi/Micro USB jack. So clever, yet so impractical. I wonder how many Lanc functions are implemented. Somebody mentioned that a Vivitar 8-function remote will work with the AX100, including focus. I'm going to find an old iPhone with no phone service turned on and see what I can do with the Wi-Fi remote application. Might be better than wired.

Mark
Old October 29th, 2014, 06:11 PM   #10
Inner Circle

@Tim -
Don't count on Sony support for information on the I/O of their cameras... there are both things that "should" work, but don't, or work unexpectedly, and other things that are not documented...

I've been trying to figure out why the MULTI in an AX100 and the "identical" (at least in labeling) MULTI in the RX series cameras are quite entirely DIFFERENT, and in fact some accessories that use the "MULTI" on the USB or the MultiShoe work on one but not the other... It seems a tad silly that accessories for a proprietary interface aren't 100% compatible across all the lines (Handycam and Cybershot)... but it is what it is.

I've found that the pins are somewhat documented by some "hacker" types (but it hasn't been entirely cracked or reverse engineered yet... despite some fair efforts). There is a "normal" 5 pin USB, and another deeper set of 10 pins that accesses LANC, I/O, and perhaps some other things (?!?). The idea is that a "normal" USB will work for data transfers, but with a "special" MULTI cable/plug, another world opens up! It is not unlike the older A/V jack and AiShoe interfaces, in fact the functions are mirrored (more or less!?). Some functions are "triggered" by resistors in the accessory(s), but remain "off" otherwise...

Hope that makes the utterly confusing a little more understandable... and no, the average Sony CS person probably doesn't know half of the above...

I've been meaning to pick up one of those Vivitar LANCs to see what it can and can't do... they are cheap enough to be worthy of investigations!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds