X70 Full PP Color Correction settings - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old January 15th, 2015, 03:54 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Re: X70 Full PP Color Correction settings

First, Thanks Paul for all your input! Being new to this camcorder you have been a great help. Could you list what type of scenario’s you use the PP's that you listed? Thanks again, Ray
Ray Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 10:06 PM   #32
Trustee

I WAS using the Cinematone1 PP initially because it has slightly better colors, but have since switched to the ITU709 PP because the Cinematone1 was a bit too flat, and the blacks were a bit too grey for my taste. I simply did a color correction for EACH color mode to provide settings for other people who wish to play with them.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2015, 04:45 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Thanks for the help.... You're truly a great asset to this forum. Ray
Ray Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2015, 01:55 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Probably a dumb question but to activate these corrections are you supposed to select color 1 or 1&2? There's color revision and extract? I don't have the camera in front of me but I'm a little confused as to how to properly activate in the menus. Off is pretty self explanatory, lol.
Mike McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2015, 06:53 PM   #35
Trustee

Color 1 and color 2 selections choose one or both or none of the color correction memory changes you have altered. If you start from scratch, and say you think your reds are too orange or magenta, you could in concept point the camera at the offending color, use the color correction "select" function in the correction menu, then adjust the settings for the specific "number" that the camera reads that color as. Extract works sort of like a blue or red or green only function of a monitor, except it corresponds with the color number you select. In the manual, Son y gives a list of what colors correspond to which numbers, but their numbers are slightly off of what a DSC chart says those color values should be. I have a list of the DSC values posted on here somewhere.

Paul
Old January 28th, 2015, 08:25 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Thanks Paul! I dailed in your ITU709 settings under 'Color Revision' and selected 'Memory 1&2'.

Did an interview with those settings today and I didn't really get a chance to test what before and after looked like, but the guy was wearing a green jacket and a yellow shirt and honestly looking at it on my calibrated monitor afterwards, the skin looks perfect and so do the clothes.

Many thanks, I had noticed some weird greens and yellows before, so I assume your tweaks must make a decent improvement.
Old January 28th, 2015, 08:47 PM   #37
Trustee

Glad they helped! Under incandescent 3200k'ish lighting, the X70/CX900/AX100 cameras have this horrid YELLOW cast to skintone, which is why I first give the red color a good correction. In daylight, this is much less of an issue, but as the key lighting becomes more yellowish, the problem begins to creep into the picture. :)

If you want to see BEFORE and AFTER easily, simply COPY the PP setting to like the next PP number above or below the one you are using, and turn OFF the color correction but leave the other settings alone. this way, you can press the PP button, then go up and down and see which you prefer. You can do the same by turning color correction off and on, but utilizing the PP selection is quicker and easier if you want to see the changes quickly and frequently.

Paul
Old January 28th, 2015, 09:03 PM   #38
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McKay View Post
Did an interview with those settings today and I didn't really get a chance to test what before and after looked like, but the guy was wearing a green jacket and a yellow shirt and honestly looking at it on my calibrated monitor afterwards, the skin looks perfect and so do the clothes.
You may wish to delve into and mess around with, the COLOR DEPTH settings. I do not have a calibrated monitor to play with these, but they can make a drastic visual difference.

Paul
Old January 28th, 2015, 09:49 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Maybe it helped that I had nicely diffused daylight.
Great idea on copying the profiles to the next PP and flicking quickly between them. Trying to do it by backing out of menus doesn't really work.

I'll have to read up on the color depth settings and see what's up. I like that each profile also has multiple white balance shift adjustments.
Old January 28th, 2015, 10:25 PM   #40
Trustee

No need to read, just crank them up and down and you will see them get paler or deeper in color, no color shift, just "light/darkness" intensity. It is not a saturation level, and it cannot be seen on a vectorscope, it must be done by eye, and preferably with a calibrated monitor.

Paul
Old January 29th, 2015, 11:00 AM   #41
Regular Crew

Interesting, will have to check that out.
Old February 3rd, 2015, 03:00 AM   #42
Regular Crew

Just got the cam today and ... WOW! ... these PP settings are complicated just to get decent color out of this thing.

I am overwhelmed. Why do I feel like configuring the Space Shuttle for reentry was probably simpler? Is it also a legitimate concern that a firmware fix for these color issues is unlikely to be forthcoming?
Tom Grushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 03:36 AM   #43
Regular Crew

Is there any way to getting a similar PP setting on the AX-1000?
Derek McCabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 07:35 PM   #44
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek McCabe View Post
Is there any way to getting a similar PP setting on the AX-1000?

I was wondering this same thing.
Old February 5th, 2015, 07:38 AM   #45
Go Cycle

I use the scroll wheel on my AX-100 to adjust the colors. Hold and press the button. You will observe two items that allow adjusting colors. The others are exposure etc.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds