Your Best Guess, Will the X70 Drop at NAB at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old March 31st, 2015, 04:32 PM   #1
Major Player

Your Best Guess, Will the X70 Drop at NAB

While I am UNHAPPY about the focus ring issue on this cam, it would do what I need it to do for the moment. Should I buy now or wait for NAB?
Tim Paynter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 04:57 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Re: Your Best Guess, Will the X70 Drop at NAB

NAB is two weeks away.

Unless you NEED a camera right away, it would be irresponsible to buy a camera right now. Of course, anything new announced at NAB would take time to make it's way into the distribution stream but if a X70R (using Sony's nomenclature for "revision") was to drop at NAB, any X70 bought today would be instantly worth LESS on the used market.

Having said that, if you have two solid weeks of shooting sending the camera out for $200 a day, buy now!

It's nothing but a numbers game... TRUST ME... DON"T get emotionally attached to a camera any more than a plumber gets emotionally attached to a pipewrench.
Old March 31st, 2015, 06:03 PM   #3
Major Player

wont be a price drop on it, too new. talked to my sony rep. i fully xpect some new cams based on our converstion.
ill be out there, will post any info or pics if there is any. ill be going to the sony booth first thing.
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 07:43 PM   #4
Major Player

I am a Sony fan, unfortuantely. Nearly all my cams are Sony cams. Always open to new ideas and platforms. This cam would work at the price point, I don't have to have 4K so not taking the upgrade into consideration on pricing. If I need 4k in the future, then it is there, if this cam sill makes sense.
Old April 3rd, 2015, 04:47 PM   #5
Major Player

Wow! Surprised to see this cam drop in price. Now, lots of cams are dropping in price. The question is, are other cams in the same price range a better product for run and gun shooting?

PXW-X70 Professional XDCAM Compact Camcorder
Old April 5th, 2015, 12:56 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Paynter View Post
While I am UNHAPPY about the focus ring issue on this cam, it would do what I need it to do for the moment. Should I buy now or wait for NAB?
What exactly is the issue with the focus ring? Mine seems fine!
Paul Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2015, 07:00 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Theory on the Price Drop.

It may not be because Sony has a revised model being announced at NAB (although that would be nice) it's shifting the camera's position int he market.

As a 4K camera it would be a $2800 street price with a 4K 4:2:0 60mbps codec which is a low quality codec.
By dropping the camera price from $2299 to $1999 it becomes a $2500 camera. For internal business reasons they probably can't drop the price on the upgrade (about $500) they can drop the price as a camera.

The actual value of the 4K upgrade is not that high given the consumerism specs so they've might the camera more attractively priced as an HD camera.

Don't undervalue the use of 4K even if one may not be delivering it for a couple of years. 4K helps in reframing shots and stabilization. Both can be important in some run and gun situations.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2015, 11:21 AM   #8
Major Player

I would really like to see a cam at 4-2-2. Maybe I will have to wait.
Old April 5th, 2015, 11:51 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I don't think there's much to gain from shooting in 4K as a solution to crop or stabilize footage. From what I see in tests, the cam already does a very good job with the optical and electronic stabilization.

But it's all about tradeoffs as we all know.

Personally, if picking up this cam, I will only shoot in HD vs 4K. Here are my personal reasons:

* 10-bit 4:2:2 (offers more flexibility in post)
* I don't own any 4K monitors
* Smaller files. Especially if having to transcode.
* Faster processing

This basically translates to lower cost (time and money).
Ricky Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2015, 12:30 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Ricky I'm not sure you understand how one would use crop and stabilization.

If you're shooting an interview with one camera, with a 4K source in an HD timeline one can then build stable camera motion whether it's cutting to close ups to simulate two camera shoot (or covering a jump cut when you're missing B-Roll) or creating a tracking or dolly shot without having to setup a dolly.

Creating motion or reframing is a life saver in post production when the budget isn't there for two camera shoots or time to setup dolly or tracking shots.

It's a great help when doing ENG work and you find that you need more head, chin, nose room that you didn't have the time to get perfect under high pressure shooting. Sometimes background action becomes more important than you realized when you were shooting under pressure. In all the above, you may need to reposition or blow up the shot.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2015, 12:41 PM   #11
Major Player

To answer Paul's question, the focus and zoom share the same ring. That is a problem for run and gun shooting as the switch between the two may be difficult in a fast paced shot.

I have my hands full with police batons, people screaming and lots going on without having to worry about changing things on the camera.

I can see the benefit of shooting 4K and then reducing it, but I would probably skip the 4K upgrade, as well.
Old April 5th, 2015, 03:48 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
Ricky I'm not sure you understand how one would use crop and stabilization.

If you're shooting an interview with one camera, with a 4K source in an HD timeline one can then build stable camera motion whether it's cutting to close ups to simulate two camera shoot (or covering a jump cut when you're missing B-Roll) or creating a tracking or dolly shot without having to setup a dolly.
Sorry about that. I was specifically thinking about how the X70 will crop a bit of the image for stabilization.

You're correct, Craig; there is indeed utility of 4K if needing to reframe, simulate pans, etc.
Ricky Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2015, 01:17 AM   #13
Trustee

Would they (do they?) actually provide f/w updates (X70 live/4K) for a camera they no longer offer?

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds