New Sony AX-53 Testing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old March 22nd, 2016, 07:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New Sony AX-53 Testing

Hi all first tests of the AX-53 watch in 4K
Enjoy
Luis
Luis A. Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2016, 09:48 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: New Sony AX-53 Testing

Thanks for the footage.
Pretty amazing images for a $998 camera.
The stabilization looked great too.
It may finally be time to upgrade my Sony CX-760 travel cam, although the AX-53 doesn't look quite as compact.
Old March 23rd, 2016, 12:51 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I"m tempted to retire and sell my cx730's and get one ax53 instead, as much as I like my little cx730's, they have become too soft when matched up with my ax100 or jvc gy ls300 plus shooting in 4k and editing in 1080p has the cropping advantage that I can use in a better way.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 02:21 PM   #4
Trustee

Here is hoping that Noa’s temptation gets the best of him and he gets the AX53 because I’d like to know a little more about it. It’s a bummer to get something then find out there’s a gotcha somewhere. So Noa, shedding the 730s seems like a good idea! Cams don’t improve with age!

I’m positive that I’ll get one because the B.O.SS stabilization system should fulfill the major hot button issue that I need a solution for which is better stabilization from the deck of a sailboat. I’ve tried using my Glidecam but the cockpit isn’t that large and in wave action one needs to have one hand on the boat for safety purposes. The other problem with using the Glidecam is the jello effect due to too much motion in too many directions. Hopefully the AX53 will solve this issue.

Not happy with the change in filter size from 52mm on the AX33 to 55MM on the AX53. Polarizing filters are expensive and I have a 52 already so that’s a pity. Will try going the other direction from a 62mm down to a 55.

The Slo-Mo option could be nice.

Would like to know how well it does with water movement and wave action. On the other hand, it’s stabilization will trump the water movement issues unless it is really bad.

With the small size and the B.O.SS system it seems like it would be a good cam in the cockpit. Already have an EWA-Marine rain cape that fits the AX100 and that should also fit the 53.

Can’t have too many cams.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 02:47 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I stumbled across a comparison video on you tube with an AX55 - comparing it with an AX100 and the ax33... I think the "55" must be a version (maybe with the projector?) for some markets.

The video looked very good on a small (15.6 laptop) 4K screen, and held up fairly well on my bigger "desktop" 4K screen. Based on that video (which for once was actually pretty well done, looked like the three cams were mounted side by side so you got almost the same view in the walk through what looked like a market of some sort), the 53/55 is MUCH better than the 33, which was quite soft and got ugly real fast in low light. Still not quite as sharp or "through a window" as the AX100, but significantly better, it's tempting to pick one up to test, but debating between that and an additional RX10II. I really love the output from the 1" class sensors overall, but sometimes one misses a small "Handy cam".... not that the AX100 is really big or heavy or anything!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 11:06 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nantz View Post
Here is hoping that Noa’s temptation gets the best of him and he gets the AX53 because I’d like to know a little more about it. It’s a bummer to get something then find out there’s a gotcha somewhere. So Noa, shedding the 730s seems like a good idea! Cams don’t improve with age!

I’m positive that I’ll get one because the B.O.SS stabilization system should fulfill the major hot button issue that I need a solution for which is better stabilization from the deck of a sailboat. I’ve tried using my Glidecam but the cockpit isn’t that large and in wave action one needs to have one hand on the boat for safety purposes. The other problem with using the Glidecam is the jello effect due to too much motion in too many directions. Hopefully the AX53 will solve this issue.

Not happy with the change in filter size from 52mm on the AX33 to 55MM on the AX53. Polarizing filters are expensive and I have a 52 already so that’s a pity. Will try going the other direction from a 62mm down to a 55.

The Slo-Mo option could be nice.

Would like to know how well it does with water movement and wave action. On the other hand, it’s stabilization will trump the water movement issues unless it is really bad.

With the small size and the B.O.SS system it seems like it would be a good cam in the cockpit. Already have an EWA-Marine rain cape that fits the AX100 and that should also fit the 53.

Can’t have too many cams.
Hi Nantz:
As far as the Slow-Mo it does 120 fps on 60p but only on the HD, and it looks very good. no blurring
Luis
Old March 24th, 2016, 10:52 AM   #7
Trustee

I wouldn't buy an AX53 just yet!

If Sony follows is normal tradition, there is a great chance that a "pro" NXCAM or XDCAM model will be announced shortly.

We know Sony does this allot and many of us can already imagine what it will look like.

I'd hang tight and wait for Sony's NAB press conference.

CT
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2016, 10:58 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Could look like an NX30U replacement maybe with XLR adapter. Or a lower cost PXW model below the X70.

A question to Luis, does the time code work in XAVC-S or just in AVCHD ?

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2016, 12:27 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I don't use time code so I would not be able to answer your question without checking the online Guide
Old March 24th, 2016, 12:42 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I have downloaded the manual and it is not clear in there about what record codec supports what indication . My FDR-AX1 will only support data code with AVCHD and suspect that the timecode and data code on the AX53 are also only supported with AVCHD and not XAVC-S. If you record in XAVC-S is data code available on playback ? In AVCHD does the timecode box appear top right when recording rather than a simple counter ?

Ron Evans
Old March 24th, 2016, 05:32 PM   #11
Major Player

Hi there,

Can anybody confirm that this camera has both mic in and headphone out? Sony's specs is somewhat unclear here. Furthermore, does anybody have a link to the PDF manual?
Much appreciated.

Thanks

Regards

Jos Svendsen

JOS. Svendsen
Jos Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2016, 06:45 PM   #12
Inner Circle

This is where got the manual Support for FDR-AX53 | Sony

Ron Evans
Old March 24th, 2016, 09:44 PM   #13
Trustee

In the Sony AX53 manual:

"If you set either one of [Exposure], [IRIS], or [Shutter Speed], the settings of other 2 items
are canceled."

Ahh yes, one of Sony's classic Handycam crippling tricks! You can run a manual shutter speed, or manual ISO/Gain or Manual iris but NEVER all three at the same time. Sony gives you a pick of only ONE at a time, the other two always get forced into auto. Nice!...I hate these games.

More evidence that a new "pro" sister model is on the way.

CT
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 12:03 AM   #14
Major Player

I'll be at nab,but considering this camera is out of consumer division,they won't b addressing it.Although I will ask at the Sony booth
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 01:26 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Totten View Post
Ahh yes, one of Sony's classic Handycam crippling tricks!
If you look on sony's webpage of this camera you"ll notice it's clearly directed to parents who want to document their children growing up, they don't care about setting f-stop, shutter and gain. Sony does point out that it has one "professional" feature which is the lensring but I"m sure most ever will touch it. You just can't expect a camera like this to have professional features and control. Not sure if this ax53 has this but one function I really hoped such a camera would have and what my cx730 is missing is a way to lock focus with a button on the side so I could control exposure with the ring and once it finds the right focus lock it if possible.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds