Sony Multi Terminal cable for Sony Remotes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old March 23rd, 2016, 11:58 PM   #1
Tourist

Sony Multi Terminal cable for Sony Remotes

I came across a company that offers a replacement cable for the Sony remote RM-VPR1 and the remotes that come with the Sony Remote Control Tripods VCT-VPR1, 10, and 100...

The company offers a cable in 2 meters (6.5 feet) or 4 meters long (13 feet) on their website: VP-Systems - Remote Controlled Video & Photography. I've ordered two, and will be using them to control my FDR-AX100 on a ProAM 12' camera crane.

I purchased the Sony VCT-VPR1 to get the sony remote control, and have been searching everywhere to find a solution. Two posts (one on Flickr, a 'sony camera club'and the other on site that deals with sports recording software, where they use sony cameras heavlily) offered solutions, but both required surgery on the existing (short) cable that comes with each remote. One went with a Cat6 cable arrangement and the other patched in Bescor extension cable.

I'm not that much into soldering and wiring...so was happy to come across this cable from VP-Systems...but you might want to go the DIY route so:

Flicker solution: https://www.flickr.com/groups/138446...7633159084253/
...look down the page for a post from surfn_waves787 and the network cable solution

SmartVideoReplay: http://www.smartvideoreplay.com/wp-c...dwareGuide.pdf
...this is the PDF that details the surgery with a Bescor cable.
Attached Thumbnails
Sony Multi Terminal cable for Sony Remotes-sony_multi_ext_big.jpg  

Last edited by Michael Veronneau; March 24th, 2016 at 01:11 PM. Reason: add picture of cable
Michael Veronneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2016, 08:23 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Sony Multi Terminal cable for Sony Remotes

Thanks for the info on the extension cable I have been looking for one. I called Studio 1Productions on Friday and they said they are making a 12ft and 30ft extension cable for the RM-VPR1. They will be shipping them on around April 15. They are priced at $29.95 for the 12ft cable and $34.95 for the 30ft cable. They are not listed on their web site yet, but you can pre-order if you call them.

Rob
Rob Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2016, 10:45 PM   #3
Tourist

Excellent news Rob...

I am very new to the Sony brand and accessories...I see that people have been looking for this type of cable going back two years...so it seems I'm coming in at the right time...I have used a Studio1 remote control for my Panasonic cameras for a few years now, so I am confident that they will offer a great product at a reasonable price...

Wow, 30'...maybe I should start looking at the 24' camera cranes...! At the moment I'm using a 12' ProAM USA camera crane and it has done a great job...

Its interesting that VP-Systems limited the cable to 13' (4 meters) saying that was the maximum that they felt maintained a reliable signal...it will be interesting to see the developments...

Thanks again for the update...
Old March 28th, 2016, 07:27 PM   #4
Regular Crew

According to the guy I talked to at Studio 1 Productions he said they had to go with a heavy gauge wire in order to run 30ft. I need a 30ft cable for an End Zone camera system that I am helping a local school build instead of them purchasing one for their football program. Their pole for the End Zone camera is 25ft tall, so a 30ft cable will be just fine.

I pre-ordered both the 12 and 30ft cable.

Rob
Old April 29th, 2016, 06:53 PM   #5
Tourist

Received my two VP-Systems 13' cables this week, and they work fine. All features supported on both my RM-VPR1 and the more advanced options on the remote from my VCT-VPR1 tripod kit.

One end of the cable is labeled "CAM" and that does have to go into the camera...if you reverse the ends you can power the camera on and off, but you can't zoom or start/stop recording...as I discovered...

Build quality seems high and so hoping to get some good years of service from these...

I've been checking the Studio1 Productions website, but haven't seen their offerings yet...
Old May 6th, 2016, 08:56 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Just got a 27 ft and a 12 ft cable in today from Studio 1 Productions. They both work great with the RM-VPR1 remote and a Sony CX-440. I have to say the cables are very thick, at least 3 times thicker than the cable that comes with the remote. With these cables, they also have a label to show you which end has to plug into the video camera. I used the 27 ft one tonight with an End Zone Camera setup and everything worked perfectly. The now have them listed on their website.
Rob

PS the web address is https://www.studio1productions.com. I hope this helps any one looking for extension cables for the RM-VPR1.
Old May 7th, 2016, 12:29 AM   #7
Tourist

Oh it is nice to have choices..!!! Will be getting one of the long cables from Studio1...cheers,
Michael Veronneau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds