DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-rx-cybershots-cx-series-camcorders/)
-   -   external audio for sony cx550 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-rx-cybershots-cx-series-camcorders/487127-external-audio-sony-cx550.html)

Jim Stamos November 8th, 2010 02:15 AM

external audio for sony cx550

is the mic input on this cam capable of taking a good wireless feed. using lectrosonics but could get an xlr to minijack for the input. im curious how it would sound. also, is there an auto gain on the audio to limit it.
how good is the audio as it is? on the cold shoe adaptor, david mentioned bh had one, how is it listed?

Jim Stamos November 8th, 2010 02:24 AM

making lcd on sony cx550 a crisp viewfinder

EX KIT PRO-Hoodman Corporation

the lcd on the ex1 is identical in size to the one on the cx550. this fits on the lcd and gives you a razor sharp viewfinder much better than the one on the camera.

Jim Stamos February 10th, 2011 09:25 PM

cx550 owners used this bracket??

anyone used this on their cx550. i was going to put an external mic here and an led light on a shoe adaptor on the sony shoe, hopefully the bracket will clear the light

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/133276-REG/Bescor_VB50_VB_50_Universal_Shoe_Mount.html

Jim Stamos February 10th, 2011 11:53 PM

rode videomic on cx550

im getting ready to buy the 550 and was looking at getting an xlr adaptor for it but read about the rode videomic. how good is this mic compared to the camera mic and im wondering if i should go this route instead of getting the xlr adaptor from studio one since the rode has a minijack.
thanks

Jay West February 16th, 2011 09:59 PM

Most folks who use Rode Videomics say the Rode is significantly better than the camera mics. Typically, this is because shotgun-style mics are more directional than camera mics so you get more focused sound. You tend to pick-up get less handling noise, and the recorded audio tends to be cleaner sounding. The video mic is attractive because it does not require phantom power and it is relatively inexpensive as shtguns go. Lots of postings in the audio section.

You will want to consider for an XLR adapter, such as a Studio One or Beachtek, when you can make use of the extra functions they give you. Here is my take on the kinds of things where it can make sense to buy an XLR adapter for use with a tiny camera like the CX550:
(a) you can run two mics at the same time (maybe a shotgun and a wireless lavalier);
(b) you can feed line-level sources as well as mics (handy when you want to pull a feed from a soundboard or PA system (the adapter units allow you to switch inputs between line level and mic level inputs);
(c) you can combine a mike level and a line level input;
(d) you can connect to XLR input sources giving a wider choice of mics and input sources. Note: the adapters are 1/8" (3.55 mm) mono mini plugs. To feed from ¼" sources or use feeds from RCA/stereo cables you need to buy inexpensive 1/8" to RCA or ¼" to 1/8th" adapters (readily available for about $2 at Radio Shacks and even some WalMarts and hardware stores). If memory serves, the Rode Videomic uas a 1/8" mini-stereo plug so that it fits cameras but you would probably need a 1/8"mini-stereo to mono adapter to plug into with an XLR adapter's mono mini-socket.
(e) with tiny cameras like the CX550, you can use the volume knobs on the Adapter/Mixer to control the relative levels between channels. You can also set the volume levels low enough to avoid clipping when shooting in a very noisy environment (say, right next to a PA loudspeaker).

So, if all you want is one external mic for the time being, then defer buying the adapter for now. Just buy the Videomic and a bracket to hold it. If you need the other capabilities , you'll need a mic, a bracket and the adapter, and you still mightl wind up with the VideoMic as your shotgun.

Jim Stamos February 17th, 2011 07:19 PM

runtime of NV70 battery on 550

realistically how long witll you get with this battery on the cx550 with the lcd. its never what the specs say. im hearding maybe 2 hours
wondering if i should get the 100

Jim Stamos August 13th, 2013 07:04 PM

Sony CX598 HD Camcorder/mic question

this is a newer model of my cx550. I only use mine for a b cam so don't utilize the mic input.
just curious if a sony wired lav mic will work with this input if I get an xlr to minijack input?>