Sony introduces HDR-CX700v 1080p60 camcorder - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders

Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders
Pro quality results from Sony consumer grade equipment.

Old January 27th, 2011, 04:36 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Sony CX700 Test Video (1080p24)

Found this on YouTube.

YouTube - Sony HDR-CX700: First HD Test Video
Old February 1st, 2011, 10:14 PM   #32
Major Player

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this THE FIRST consumer camera from Sony to shoot 24p?

In any case, I've always preferred Sony's color reproduction to Canon's, particularly in the blue/green range. So I'm hoping this will be the first of many to compete with the Canon Vixia line. I thoroughly enjoyed the HC7, but got rid of it when I committed to 24p, then later sold the V1U since the colors were so different from the HV20's.

I assume pulldown removal is required ie the progressive frames are recorded amongst 60i.

The wide angle looks great.

What's the point of 96GB of memory? I'd prefer dual slots and no built-in memory. Ah, it says there is one Memory Stick Duo and one SD slot. Wonder if they record simultaneously, or Relay style. I'd vote for keeping your memory, Sony, and dropping the price to $775 (wink).

Anybody know what "Golf Shot" is?

Last edited by Scott Brickert; February 1st, 2011 at 10:21 PM. Reason: more
Scott Brickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 12:11 AM   #33
Major Player

"Golf shot" uses high speed shutter to record a series of images of a golf swing or other sport. Here is a you tube video that sort of demonstrates it: YouTube - Sony Handycam Golf Shot Overview

As with the CX550, there is only one memory card slot, near as I can tell. You can use either SD or Memory Stick, but not it all goes to one slot.

The point of 96 gb is longer times between having to download video to free up internal memory. My guess is that this is aimed at folks on the go who might not have time or location to conveniently offload to SD cards/memory sticks or computers during a day or a week of travel. Also aimed at folks who need really long recording times for day long meetings, scoping sessions, and the like.
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 09:29 AM   #34
New Boot

Sorry if this has been posted already but...
WHY DID SONY REDUCE THE SIZE OF THE LCD ? !!!

As an owner of a Sony MC50U I can honestly say that the 3.5 LCD is a glorious feature on such a small camera. It was one of the deciding factors which helped me choose between the sony and the Pan TM700

One step forward, one step backward.
Chris Clifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 10:57 AM   #35
Inner Circle

The new Panasonic TM900 has a 3.5 inch screen (up from 3 inches) and it's now double the resolution of the TM700...unfortunately that's still half the resolution of many top end camcorders like your Sony - but "good enough" (bearing in mind the other features and cost of the Panasonic compared to it's likely alternatives) to have made me push the button on a TM900. At least it has peaking, zebras etc. Mine will arrive on Tuesday 15th Feb.
Old February 28th, 2011, 07:08 AM   #36
New Boot

Re: Sony introduces HDR-CX700v 1080p60 camcorder

Scott said 'Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this THE FIRST consumer camera from Sony to shoot 24p?'

Well, my four year old standard definition Sony HC96E handycam (PAL) has the option to shoot 25p (progressive segmented frame) and it looks pretty good. I believe the NTSC version can shoot 24p but not 100% sure.

I'm also looking at the CX700 as a possible camcorder, that or the Canon XA10 (I decided can't afford the xf100 as things stand at present). I need IR for night shooting and the CX700 has 'Nightshot'. Nice to have 60p but fair to say it's not widely used as an end product - not yet at least (correct me if I'm wrong) as it's not broadcastable and can't be put on blu-ray or DVD. I guess ypou can keep it for future use and just drop every second frame for editing and current delivery.
Charles Higham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 10:19 AM   #37
Regular Crew

I was about to place an order for the CX700, when by chance whilst in Germany this weekend I noticed in a couple of German Camcorder magazines, a CX690 version which seems to be same spec but no flash memory just SD card only, for 200 euros less than the Cx700.
Can't find any mention in the original CES press releases, but it does exist in Germany at least.

Any one else looking at this model?

Thanks
Paul Rickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 10:42 AM   #38
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Higham View Post
I guess ypou can keep it for future use and just drop every second frame for editing and current delivery.
Exposure rate is the same for progressive and interlace, no need to drop frames. For interlace only a field is recorded but for progressive the whole frame is recorded. So 60P ( or 50P) should work just fine in an interlace project setting for an NLE . The NLE will just take a field from the full frame( odd or even field is half vertical resolution). The standard is confusing as interlace cameras take exposures at the full rate of 50 or 60 frames a sec. For interlace they just record a field each time and for progressive the whole frame. Since two fields make a frame the standard says 50i is 25fps and 60i is 30fps ( for drop frame time code in NTSC that is 29.97). The temporal rate though is the same for progressive and interlace. This is of course NOT true for 24P, 25P or 30P which will have a slower temporal motion. Full rate progressives will include twice the detail, need more in camera processing power and storage but will have much more detail for stills from a video frame or for slow motion.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 10:59 AM   #39
New Boot

Ron, that's interesting. I may not have fully understood but does this mean that 1080/50p (or 60p) progressive footage would be treated as interlaced and in effect automatically interlaced when rendered from a 50i (or 60i) timeline?

Paul, thanks for mentioning the CX690. I didn't know about that and I have checked the Sony UK website. It's not showing so it could be a version restricted to some EU countries. I hope it does become available in the UK though as it might save a bit of money.
Charles Higham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 11:20 AM   #40
Inner Circle

Depends on the NLE you will have to check yours but I think most of the current NLE's would take the file with whatever else is on the timeline and render to the project export settings. Edius and Vegas will do this not sure of others.

Ron
Old February 28th, 2011, 01:14 PM   #41
Regular Crew

CX690 vs. CX700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Rickford View Post
...CX690 version which seems to be same spec but no flash memory just SD card only, for 200 euros less than the Cx700...it does exist in Germany at least...Any one else looking at this model?...
Yes, I might be interested in this model as well and I look forward to the first tests. Unfortunately itīs not absolutely clear at the moment what the differences between the CX700 and the CX690 are. Even the Sony homepage is a bit inconsistent. The CX690 definitely has no GPS receiver and very likely no flash memory (although the website lists 96GB built-in memory for both). And maybe both camcorders use different types of stabilizers (CX690: SteadyShot, CX700: SteadyShot Active). But to be sure, I guess we will have to wait till it is available: The CX690 is expected to follow one month after the CX700, so in April we should know everything about it.
Bernd Eller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 09:03 PM   #42
Major Player

Let's say a consumer buys a shiny new CX700 for a big vacation across Europe for which they've paid $5000. On day 12, they've got 90GB of outstanding footage and still shots...all their memories of the fantastic trip.

How much is that camera worth on Day 13?

For my money, cameras are for acquisition, memory is for transfer, and hard drives or the cloud are for storage. After getting robbed of everything in Costa Rica last year, the last thing I'd want is footage in the camera.

Give me the CX690, especially if it has the Sony equivalent of Relay Recording.
Old February 28th, 2011, 10:06 PM   #43
Inner Circle

Well all the latest Sony camcorders have card slots for SDHC or Memory stick whether or not they have internal memory. They also will transfer to USB hard disk without a computer . So if one doesn't want to record to the internal memory just record to the card slot. or at the end of every day backup to hard drive like a Passport USB drive. The CX690 doesn't seem to be available on any of the NA sites so far anyway. The CX560 looks like a CX700 with less memory and no viewfinder.

Ron Evans
Old February 28th, 2011, 10:24 PM   #44
Major Player

Thanks, Ron, I had not made that connection.

I'm still waiting for the model with zero memory, to compete with the HF-S200 I just bought. :)

I just noticed the B&H description lists a "built-in USB cable." Funky. Sounds like a recipe for frustration.
Old February 28th, 2011, 10:44 PM   #45
Inner Circle

It looks to me like the CX560V is as close to a "card only" configuration as they are offering - haven't heard anything about a "690" - any links? The 560 will drop the VF, and has 64G memory built in, plus of course the card slot for external card in MS Pro Duo or SDHC flavor.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders