Sony introduces HDR-CX700v 1080p60 camcorder - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders

Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders
Pro quality results from Sony consumer grade equipment.

Old March 5th, 2011, 03:18 PM   #76
Inner Circle

Re: Sony introduces HDR-CX700v 1080p60 camcorder

No customizable menus Dave. So its a several step process for almost anything. Click menu, click selection. click sub section click selection and then make changes and backout of all the menus. Long processes for some things. Manual control works as before on my XR500. Hold in button until section come up, make selection etc. The AE shift is now just +/- 1.0 EV. It is possible to set more than one control as long as they do not conflict. ie fix shutter at1/60 and then use exposure for example.

I have just posted a short video at 60P taken from my front door in the rain to Vimeo but it is still processing. Will post again when I know its up.

Picture is better than the XR500 in that even at its indicated 21db( which is also new none of my other many Sony's go more than 18db) of gain the picture is still very usable. Impressive.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 03:38 PM   #77
Major Player

This is the same type of question I have. If I buy this camera, capture in 60p, what improvements in output media is available, and will folks see a difference watching?
Dave Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 03:49 PM   #78
Inner Circle

No 1080P60 is not part of the spec. Playback directly to the TV will be better than interlace because the TV will not have to deinterlace and effectively make up for the missing information. If you save to a Sony direct to disc recorder then you can playback from that to the TV. But for editing on an interlaced timeline it should work as any interlace file. For stills from this video file there will be a big improvement as there is twice the data available though it will have been compressed somewhat differently to a 60i stream.

So the home movie market for which it is intended who edit in camera and record directly to a Sony DVD recorder will end up with 60P discs that they can watch of their holidays or family events in glorious colour and 60P. Either from the same recorder or the PS3. Yes they will be better than Bluray !!!

Ron Evans
Old March 5th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #79
Major Player

Interesting, I would want to edit all my stuff via some package like CS5.

When HDV first came out, there was no way to get to folks, but I grabbed the material in this format anyways. Then when tools caught up, I was able to make into BR DVD's now.

I am hoping this same approach works with 60p. I can take all the pictures with this of my granddaughters, and in the future, be able to use this somehow with better video quality when the tools catch up.
Old March 5th, 2011, 04:25 PM   #80
Inner Circle

I did the same with HDV and output the files back to HDV tape after editing then. Now with AVCHD for all my cameras. Most of these are 60i so will stay with that format for now but I like the idea of eventually moving to 60P for all of them and maybe by then the standards will change. At least all the files can be saved in the highest format. I backup everything to DLT data tape anyway. LTo3 tapes are cheap ($25 for 400G ) so will hold over 30 hours of AVCHD. Vegas will edit the files on a 60P timeline or 60i timeline as will Edius.

Ron Evans
Old March 5th, 2011, 05:19 PM   #81
Inner Circle

Ugh, I can't believe they eliminated the "my menu" capability that the CX500/520/550 had... that'd be an even bigger leap backward than downsizing the LCD!

This raises an interesting question, and I think you have to leave the camera sit for 24 hours to find this out, but on the CX500/550 the lo lux "turns off" automatically and must be reset from the menu (thus warranting a top level button). Does the setting "stick" in the 700?

Tried to find a link to the manual, and it apparently isn't posted yet, though it did say you Canandians could get this while us Southern North Americans can't!

I'd suspect that the 60P is more or less "future-proofing" as the standards continue to ramp higher and higher - i'm guessing that Vegas will handle the footage fine, but that once again it will require more horsepower to edit. I've noticed that Vegas 10 seems to handle the 24Mbps from the CX550V with no trouble, but I need to play with it some more to see how well it does when comparing to the 16Mbps stuff from the CX500 (comparable to the XR500)

I see the 60p being handy for "slo-mo", since you'll have double the data, and for pulling frame grabs, again due to the higher rez. Not sure how much improvement you'd see in most video though...

Blu Ray burners are coming down nicely, so won't be long until storing 25-50G shouldn't be too difficult!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 07:12 PM   #82
Inner Circle

Very short video on Vimeo in 60P. Shot from the front door as it was raining on a very slippery /icy condition . Not going to wander around outside until tomorrow !!!

Ron Evans
Old March 7th, 2011, 03:43 AM   #83
New Boot

HDR-CX690E on the Sony Latvia website in English. Doesn't mention a lens hood as an accessory...

HDR-CX690E (HDRCX690E) : Overview : Cameras & camcorders : Sony
Charles Higham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 10:26 AM   #84
Inner Circle

The hood is listed as an accessory in the manual (thanks, Ron), so it is likely to be in the box.
Old March 7th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #85
Regular Crew

SPK for 700

I am trying to find out if the Remote input is compatible with the Sony SPK splash packs. I have been using the HDR-SR11 in a spalsh pack for a couple of years. I am hoping the CODEC on this new camera will be better for shooting actions sports in water situations. I am generally filming off the back of a wave runner in the surf.

Thanks for any info
Charles Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 03:49 PM   #86
Inner Circle

It should be compatible - generally the A/V jack has the remote input to accept the plug from the SPK.

You may have to use a different sled or modify one of them to position the camera, but I've been using SPK-HCB (older version of the sport pack) with CX550V's currently, and everything all the way back to the HC series in the past.

Not only will you find the encoding has improved, the sensor is better, and now with 60p it should also make for better shooting... Oh yeah, and most importantly, the OIS is massively better...
Old March 7th, 2011, 09:57 PM   #87
Regular Crew

Yeah!!! Just got my shipping email from Sony Style. My cx700v will be here Wednesday. Can't wait!

Have been thrilled with my xr500v I bought 2 years ago.... Can't wait to are this top it.....
Stacy Rothwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 10:10 PM   #88
Inner Circle

Will be interested to find out how you view changes from the XR500. I like the addition of zebra, peaking and expanded focus and the audio display. Lighter and smaller than the XR500 too. Noise seems to be very well managed.

Ron Evans
Old March 9th, 2011, 10:45 AM   #89
Major Player

So, if I buy this camera, and record in 1080p60, what do I do with the material? BR only supports 1080p30.
Just trying to figure out how one is going to delivery to a customer to watch, now or into the future.
Old March 9th, 2011, 11:41 AM   #90
Inner Circle

You can drop every other line and deliver 1080 60i, if you want smooth motion. Or you can slow the video by half for a clean slow motion effect.

Even if you will deliver in 60i, capturing in 60p rather than 60i is worthwhile. Interlace is terrible for post. If you want to "fly in" or "push down" a video frame, you can do it smoothly with a 60p source, while DVE effects with 60i material often flicker.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders