DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-rx-cybershots-cx-series-camcorders/)
-   -   Sony introduces HDR-CX700v 1080p60 camcorder (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-rx-cybershots-cx-series-camcorders/489795-sony-introduces-hdr-cx700v-1080p60-camcorder.html)

Floris van Eck January 6th, 2011 01:39 AM

Sony introduces HDR-CX700v 1080p60 camcorder

Sony is back in the game... announces 1080p60 and 1080p24 camcorder.

Model Highlights: 1920 x 1080 Full HD 60p/24p recording, 12MP still images, wide angle G lens, "Exmor R" CMOS sensor, enhanced manual controls, CinemaTone presets, advanced controls, GPS receiver

HDR-CX700V | Full HD 96GB Flash Memory Camcorder | Sony | Sony Style USA

What I like:
- The 3.0” (16:9) Xtra Fine LCD™ screen (921K) (it's only 3" but has a better resolution than the new Panasonic camcorders)
- Video Format : HD: MPEG4-AVC/ H.264 AVCHD format compatible (1080/60p: original format); STD: MPEG2-PS
- Video Mode : HD PS: Approx. 28Mbps/ FX: Approx. 24Mbps/ FH: Approx. 17Mbps/ HQ: Approx. 9Mbps/ LP: Approx. 5Mbps; STD HQ: 9Mbps (so 24p mode is 24Mbps (Panasonic's is only 17Mbps). And Sony joins Panasonic with an 'original' AVCHD 28Mbps 60p mode... hope they make it officially supported by the consortium soon.)
- Focal length in Movie Mode: 26.3mm - 263mm (16:9), great wide-angle!
- The HDR-CX700V provides advanced capture and control features that are often considered the domain of professional cameras including expanded focus for precise manual focus control, zebra and peaking for precision focus and exposure adjustments.
- Get the most out of your camcorder with enhanced manual controls. The assignable dial allows for control of focus, exposure, white balance, iris, and shutter speed.
- Assignable Dial : Yes (Focus / Exposure / Iris / Shutter Speed / AE Shift / WB Shift Set)
- The built-in 96GB1 embedded Flash memory can record and store up to 40 hours of high definition video footage (HD LP mode).
- Tracking Focus works as an extension of Face Detection to allow you to select an object with a touch of the LCD and have the focus follow the selected object.
- A built-in GPS receiver7 makes the HDR-CX700V an ideal choice for travelers. The receiver gives you the ability to view your current location on the LCD map display, as well as "tag" your shooting locations. Tagged videos and still images can be reviewed and played back using the Map Index function on the camcorder or once downloaded to your PC using the supplied PMB (Picture Motion Browser) software9. Additionally, the receiver automatically adjusts your camcorder's clock to the proper time zone.
- MSRP $1299

If Sony hasn't crippled modes (like omitting stuff from the manual mode) this is an awesome camcorder for the price. Looking forward to seeing some test footage.

John Wiley January 6th, 2011 02:13 AM

Think I just found the successor to my ageing Sony SR-1.

Floris van Eck January 6th, 2011 02:45 AM

How are these camcorders's predecessors in terms of image quality and color reproduction? I see that it is a 1-chip sensor.

Jack Zhang January 6th, 2011 03:20 AM

I'm still skeptical about the single-chip stuff. The upcoming TM900 has a 3.5'' LCD touch screen and could be cheaper than this Sony and have 3 CMOS sensors to boot. (even though each sensor is 1/4.1'', in bright light, the quality in my opinion is better than the single chip Sonys (not too oversharpened, not too undersharpened). They also mention that the TM900 has a better DAC for the sensors than the TM700.)

Andy Wilkinson January 6th, 2011 04:34 AM

I think it's really interesting that Sony have also introduced a camcorder with a 1080p60 frame rate at 28Mbps (and 1080p50 for us over here in PAL land). Hopefully, it's implementation is very similar/identical to the much acclaimed Panasonic TM700/SD700 and HS700 versions - and the slightly improved new versions of Panasonic camcorders just announced - and will become adopted as some kind of AVCHD codec consortium "extension" standard as Floris mentions.

If more manufacturer's (e.g. Canon, JVC etc.?) jump on this format soon then hopefully we'll see more compatibility with the better NLEs in the near future too.

This is a great time to be considering a small, highly portable yet highly capable camcorder! I wonder if Sony will soon upgrade the HXR-MC50E as it's already looking outdated/overpriced regarding frame rate options (unless you really need XLR on a small camera).

Choice is a great thing!

Dave Blackhurst January 6th, 2011 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Floris van Eck (Post 1604939)
How are these camcorders's predecessors in terms of image quality and color reproduction? I see that it is a 1-chip sensor.

Looks like it will be a "feature updated" CX550V with a SMALLER 3" screen... should be a fairly decent camera, but makes me want to figure out how to hack the firmware for the "old" models... I knew the feature capabilities were there, just not enabled... GRRRR.

Probably not a compelling upgrade if you've already got XR/CX 500 series and later, but carries on that tradition.

John Wiley January 6th, 2011 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson (Post 1604953)
If more manufacturer's (e.g. Canon, JVC etc.?) jump on this format soon then hopefully we'll see more compatibility with the better NLEs in the near future too.
Choice is a great thing!

Hopefully this means Sony Vegas will offer full support for 1080p60/50, and the other NLE's will follow suit. Perhaps it will not be that long before the standard for shooting for slow-motion no longer requires dropping the resolution to 720p!

Jack Zhang January 6th, 2011 07:20 PM

Vegas already supports 1080p60 through the MainConcept decoder. FCP, Avid, Edius, and etc are the odd people out when it comes to editing 1080p60. (Unless they use CineForm)

Andy Wilkinson January 10th, 2011 07:02 AM

Sony Handycam's with 1080p50/60 - No Cooling Fan?

One other thing that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet.

The new Sony's that will offer 1080p50/60 appear(from viewing pictures on the Sony website) to not have a cooling fan, i.e. like the Panasonic TM700 family and Panny's new upgrades, unless I missed a fan grill somewhere?

Whilst the potential lack of one source of low level camera noise is welcome, I hope that does not mean we might get overheating problems if shooting for any length of time - like on some of the DSLR's when shooting HD video (luckily something my Canon 7D has only ever done once!)

Casey Krugman January 10th, 2011 10:18 AM

It doesn't need fans, its such a COOL camera.... LOL

But seriously, I think the addition of this new level of AVCHD, level 4.2 for the 1080p60, in the consumer market is promising for the new 35mm pro model thats avchd. After all...they usually test out in the consumer market before hitting the pro market.

Andy Wilkinson January 10th, 2011 03:43 PM

And another thing about this cam. I notice the CX700V has an unsually wide lens for a Sony camcorder - but I read a comment from Dave Blackhurst on here somewhere that the older CX550V (which was less wide than this new upstart) was on the verge of barrel distortion when on it's wide end.

So I'm wondering how "useful" (i.e. lacking in distortion) this extra wide aspect might be on these updated cams - I guess we won't know until the first tests get done, hopefully in the next month or so, assuming they meet that mid-March shipping date.

If I go for the CX700V, since it's a 37mm thread, I could screw on my trusty Sony VCL-HG0737Y Wide Lens Adapter (with Cavison Hood) and really "go for it" - a lovely bit of glass when I've used it on my HDR-HC1 - heavy through!

Jim Stamos January 10th, 2011 11:41 PM

cx700

edius 6.0 does edit 60p. not sure where you heard it didnt,on the 700, not having the 3 1/2 inch screen is a factor for me. why did they go smaller. overall quality and performance, im leaning to the 550 in that the 700 will be identical in this area. no real reason to spend another 300.00.
the zebras/enhanced focus/ audio meters not a big deal here.

Dave Blackhurst January 11th, 2011 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson (Post 1606241)
And another thing about this cam. I notice the CX700V has an unsually wide lens for a Sony camcorder - but I read a comment from Dave Blackhurst on here somewhere that the older CX550V (which was less wide than this new upstart) was on the verge of barrel distortion when on it's wide end.

So I'm wondering how "useful" (i.e. lacking in distortion) this extra wide aspect might be on these updated cams - I guess we won't know until the first tests get done, hopefully in the next month or so, assuming they meet that mid-March shipping date.

If I go for the CX700V, since it's a 37mm thread, I could screw on my trusty Sony VCL-HG0737Y Wide Lens Adapter (with Cavison Hood) and really "go for it" - a lovely bit of glass when I've used it on my HDR-HC1 - heavy through!

Wellllll... even the CX550V will show the edges of every 37mm WA adapter I've fitted, although I picked up an older HG0737 that isn't bad, heavy like the "Y" (a fine piece of glass!), but it's silver, and earlier vintage. The built in lens of the CX550 is so wide that it's tough to find hoods and WA adapters that won't show in the corners. I'd expect the CX700V to be even more susceptable.

Andy Wilkinson January 11th, 2011 03:17 AM

Thanks Dave. Very useful information. I'm currently looking for differentiators between the new Panasonic TM900 and new Sony CX700.

It sounds like I should not consider the fact that I already have the excellent aforementioned Sony wide angle adapter as a compelling reason to stick with Sony, but make my decision on other factors.

Dave Blackhurst January 11th, 2011 10:11 AM

You can use your WA, just plan on zooming in maybe 5%, maybe a tad more if you do - I find I leave my WA HG glass in the bag or ox more often than not now... but I've still got it just in case, and now my cheaper VCL .6's are close to fisheyes (with some vignetting at full wide of course)! The really nifty thing is if you mount an adapter or hood, you can actually watch the active IS at work, as the framing shifts slightly and smoothly!